Flash flickers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schtibbie, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I think my iPhone 4 has developed it's first problem after only having it two months. The led flash flickers randomly. I installed one of those flashlight apps (regular app store, not jailbroken) and use it very briefly twice. Each time less than two minutes. Now my flash flickers badly.

Nope - it isn't just the app either. I can go onto camera, movie mode, flash set ON and it flickers the same.

Bad led? Will apple replace? I'm afraid I'm gonna get a sad return with less good condition than my almost new phone. :-(

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Have you closed the flashlight app from the Recently Used Applications list?

3. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know what you mean about the recently used apps list. I'm not saying the led is on when it shouldn't. I'm saying when it is on, it flickers badly. It might be bright for several seconds, then it flutters around a slightly dimmer light level, then flickers up brighter than normal, then steadies for a bit, etc.

Does the same now in camera app.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Restart the phone and open the camera app without going into that flashlight app. What happens?

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

6. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

sounds like you killed your LED

Apple probably never expected people to use the LED as a flashlight for several minutes, and it may have overheated

In any case you should take it back to Apple and get it Replaced

7. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Restarting the phone didn't help. After restarting I went straight into camera, video, flash on, and got a clear light for almost a minute before it started the flicker-dim thing again.

Really I'm hacked off I'll end up needing a replacement (refurb!!) over a dodgy led.

8. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

What was the longest you had the LED light on for (minutes) ?

You will be getting a phone that is completely new from the outside, has the same warranty as the original and that works 100% vs your used phone that has a defective LED

All for FREE. I don't understand were the negative mindset comes from

9. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

The longest I ran the led as a flashlight was about ten minutes. It seems to have two levels it fluctuates between - as if the led actually consists of two diodes. One of those on mine apparently flickers on and off with a random rate.

As for my concerns on refurb: does anyone know if they get brand new battery with a refurb?

10. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

Yup new battery, new outer casing parts, and all internal parts are tested = Its just as good as a new phone

you have two options

a) get the phone replaced now

b) if the flash doesnt bother you that much, hold on to the phone with the knowledge that you can get a replacement whenever you want

so if you ever get a nasty scratch on the phone = take it in for the LED problem
    or if your warranty is about to run out = take it in and it will give you an additional 90 days of warranty ( or length of original warranty which ever is longer)

11. catalyst989 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem with my iphone. Mine is also about 2 months old. Maybe three weeks ago I noticed that my LED flickered really badly. Sometimes it doesn't even come on.
    Does your iphone randomly freeze up on you? I've noticed that whenever I am in Connecticut and my Wifi is on, my phone will completely freeze. Sometimes the screen will remain black for 10 to 20 minutes before it does anything at all. The weird thing is that it doesn't do this to me in Massachusetts.
    Does anyone know if the apple store charges 30 dollars like apple does with RMA's over the phone? Or if they would even give me a new phone if I went there?

12. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Apple only charges $30 if you want the new one mailed to you before you return the old one. If you bring it to the store, they replace it on the spot, and no charge

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If its convenient to get to an Apple Store, book a Genius appointment and walk in, they'll just replace it free of charge.

14. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

i dont't think you can kill the LED with continuous usage (several minutes). what if you want to make a 30min video in bad lightning conditions? i recorded several minutes with flash light at a concert - no problem at all.

15. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

no one really knows

Most people that work with electronics/custom lighting know that LED's are very reliable, but are notorious for burning out quickly if you don't regulate voltage/ heat produced

Some LED's require some pretty substantial heatsinks to run reliably

[​IMG]

Since we don't know what voltage and heat is being produced by the LED we can only speculate.

However one thing remains clear

Most people are not having an issue so two things

a) Good quality control, but the OP must have a bad LED

b) Most people are not using their LED as a flashlight/having it on for several minutes. Perhaps this is what is causing the LED to burn out early ( and perhaps Apple never tested how hot the LED gets after having it on for an extended session)

16. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I agree with this. If it doesn't bother you, just hold off on getting the phone replaced. My iPhone 3G had hairline cracks on the casing...ignored it for about 6 months and then had it replaced after I got my iPhone 3GS. Sold the iPhone 3G, still in its wrapper, on ebay for a pretty penny.