Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Hi there,

I've just read (here) that it might not be necessary to flash a ATI 2600XT to work in a Mac Pro, can that be right?

I'd like to use such a card in a 2009 model because it's the only one that has two DVI ports and doesn't require additional power.

If it is unrealistic that it will run out of the box, is there any way to flash the card? I might get access to a PC if that would be required.

Cheers!

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
the guy in that post has 1 mac 2600 and 1 pc 2600. the mac 2600 will initialize efi for the pc 2600 also.
a 2600 pc version by its own wont run.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I'm currently running a 4870 and a GT120 as well (got the GT for 50 quid on ebay), but the miniDP is kind of restricting, which is why I intend to switch to the 2600 as well.

But seems to be very hard to get an Apple one these days, and getting a ROM for these old cards is almost impossible.

Initially the 5770 seemed to be a really good deal to replace both cards, but I'd have to replace all my adapters to get my displays running. Not worth it.

I guess I'll stay with the GT120 then.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Actually, I'm not really familiar with the process of flashing graphics cards (not at all to be honest), so I'd rather not mess with your system. :eek:

But thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it!

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
Can ROM in Apple ATI card be read out with Zeus

I just downloaded Zues to see what the application is about.

I presently have an Apple ATI 2600XT card in my Mac Pro v3,1.
I would like to add another to drive a third monitor.
It is a low power (50W) card which should generate less heat than others.

Can I read out the ROM from the presently installed card in the first slot and use it to flash an ATI 2600XT pc card in the second slot.

Otherwise, if not, what are we looking for?
Apple occasionally puts out firmware upgrades for the card.
Is that what we need to read and flash or is it incomplete?

Thanks for any replies in advance.
:)

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
ROM Dump

Hi Cindori:

You indicated that I can dump out the ROM from the Mac card using Windows and then flash the PC card using Zeus within Mac OSX.

I am running Parallels Desktop. Can I use that or do I actually have to boot up in Windows OS?

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.