flash for iphone, anytime soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bender o, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hi, does anyone know if flash is coming to iphone anytime soon?

2. TedB macrumors member

Nobody knows for sure if flash will ever come, but here is the only official word I have heard of.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/31/apple-teams-up-with-adobe-for-iphone-flash-at-long-last/

Also, the beta for flash 10 for smart phones will be out in October, maybe we will hear of something then.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/22/flash-10-for-smartphone-beta-coming-this-october/

As of right now though, it is not looking good, but you learn to live without it. I find it nice that flash advertisements are broken, but also get annoyed with all flash sites that just don't work on the iPhone.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

3GS is a good step. I'm sure it can run flash without a hitch.

4. cobalt135 macrumors regular

Anyone ever been to a website on their computer with poorly written flash? Your processor usage goes way up and the fans start screaming. You could only imagine what would happen to even the 3GS!

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

We don't need flash on iPhone. We don't want it. If you think you do, you are wrong.

6. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

7. Torq macrumors regular

There is no performance issue with the 3G or 3GS running Flash.

But given that Apple have stated that they will not support it, I would not be holding my breath for it.

The basic issue is that supporting Flash applications on the iPhone undermines the App Store. As long as that is the case do not expect Flash support.

If things are limited to Flash video then there may be some leeway there, but otherwise if there is no way to control and/or monetize Flash applications (read games) I would assume it is just not going to happen.