Flash for Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by geekygeek, Jul 28, 2011.

1. geekygeek macrumors regular

I was thinking of download Flash for my MacBook Air but I also heard it decreases your battery life by like 3 hours. If I download flash will be running in the background continuously when the computer is turned on or only when it needs to?

2. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded and I installed it 2 times, doesn't work, or am I doing something wrong. After I install it I go to youtube and it still says you need flash. Are any additional steps required? Also I tried the 1st one the stable version.

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Flash does not run in the background at all and won't decrease your battery life by 3 hours.

Where do these gossipy rumors even start ? Geez. :rolleyes:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't mean to install ClickToFlash instead of Flash, but in addition to it. If you read the information on the ClickToFlash site, you'll see that it allows you to control when Flash content plays. You still need to install Flash.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You download flash from Adobe. See here.

The clicktoflash is a flash blocker, it isn't flash. It does what it says in the tin- things that are flash will appear as a grey box, then you click on them if you want it to show. Is useful because some adverts are flash so it stops your Mac slowing down when they are on the page.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you do nothing but play Flash games and watch Flash videos, you'll probably see a battery hit. But for normal usage you probably won't notice a difference. Just use an ad-blocker on your browser.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

(Looking at the MacRUMORS logo on the top left of the page)

I have no idea... :p

8. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I just download flash but if I go play a youtube video it just starts playing doesn't ask me if I want to run flash. I even tried to install clicktoflash again, still doesn't work. :confused:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you enable ClickToFlash?
    Safari > ClickToFlash > Preferences > Enable ClickToFlash​
    Also, make sure YouTube is playing Flash and not HTML5.

10. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I don't see it and I don't see anything new either.

11. drg-racr macrumors newbie

I actually just installed flash and clicktoflash on my new 13" Air and while my Air will now play Youtube videos I can't find clicktoflash when I click on Safari on the top left of the screen.

12. GGJstudios, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What OS and Safari versions are you running? If you have the extension, you can find it in:
    Safari > Preferences > Extensions

13. drg-racr macrumors newbie

I'm running OSX 10.7 and Safari 5.1 I thought with clicktoflash you had to click a box before flash would work...the Youtube videos are playing just by opening them. Clicktoflash seemed to install properly.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right click on a web page (not on a Flash box) and select ClickToFlash Preferences. On the HTML5 Replacements tab, uncheck YouTube. If you have that checked, ClickToFlash substitutes flash content with HTML5 and plays it.

15. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I have whatever the latest Safari version is and I have OS 10 Lion. And if I right click (for me it is click with 2 fingers) and I don't see clicktoflash. Maybe it doesn't work for Lion?

16. drg-racr macrumors newbie

I get also do not get clicktoflash when I right click. I even tried re installing clicktoflash and it went fine and said it installed but I can't seem to find any trace of it.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's possible. If that's the case, I'd expect it to be updated fairly soon.

18. mkelly macrumors regular

ClickToFlash works just fine on Lion. I'm running it right now on my new 2011 13" MBA.

So for those new to the Mac, from the top here's what you do to get Flash running on your new MacBook:

1. Open http://www.adobe.com in Safari (or your web browser of choice).
    2. Click the "Download -> Adobe Flash Player" link (in the bottom right of the Adobe page)
    3. Click the "Download Now" button (make sure it says that you're going to download the OS X version of Flash player - it should automatically figure that out).
    4. The Flash player plugin will download to your Downloads folder. Depending on how you've configured your browser, a Flash Player window may open automatically. If not, then double-click on the "install_flash_player_osx_intel.dmg" file in your Downloads folder.
    5. Quit Safari completely (ie: Go to Safari menu and choose quit). Then double-click on the Install Adobe Flash Player app you just downloaded.
    6. Follow instructions to install Flash Player.
    7. Start up Safari and go to a Flash-enabled site to make sure that the player is working correctly.
    8. Remember to "eject" / unmount the Flash player volume (by dragging it to the trash or clicking the eject icon next to it in the Finder sidebar). You can then delete the .dmg file you downloaded.

Once all that's done & you've confirmed that Flash works, then you can think about grabbing the Safari ClickToFlash extension.

19. mkelly macrumors regular

If you want to see the extensions you've loaded in Safari, just go to Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions. If you installed ClickToFlash, it should show up on that panel. You can also update your extensions and enable/disable them from there as well.

20. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Trying to follow along but no luck. I used the first link and the stable version. Should I use the second link instead?

21. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Yes! I finally got it, I used the second link and it worked. Does click to flash take up battery life by running in the background? Also does flash run in the background even though you are not using it?

22. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

No and no.

23. barryf43 macrumors newbie

Just downloaded Click to Flash. Its phenomenal. No more annoying flash ads. Thanks for the tip.