Flash Freezes all browsers...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aross99, Feb 1, 2009.

1. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I searched for this, but I have not been able to find any solution to the issue of Flash freezing browsers on Leopard. A number of people seem to be having this issue with Flash 10.

I have a MacBook with 10.5.6 and all updates, and the latest flash from Adobe.

Using Safari or Firefox, I am unable to display sites with flash. For example, when going to http://www.mlb.com, the page begins to load, and hangs at the end, with a spinning cursor. Only option is to force quit.

Deleting flash allows the page to display, but obviously w/o flash.

Reinstalling flash (version 9 or 10), brings back the freeze.

Other machines I have (MBP) with the same software, work fine.

Creating a new user has the same issue.

Restart, and Repairing permissions has no effect...

Everything was working fine last night, and nothing significant has changed since then...

Any suggestions?

2. aross99 thread starter macrumors 68000

aross99

After looking at all of the files with "Flash" in the name that were outside of the user folder, I found the following folder:

/Library/Application Support/Macromedia

This seems to be the root of the problem. I removed flash, then removed this folder, and then reinstalled flash.

Everything seems to be OK now.

The folder was NOT recreated, and I have that same folder on my other machines. Not sure why this is an issue, but it resolved the issue for me!

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Maybe it was left over from an old version and somehow causing problems by still trying to work with the new version of flash.

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I always stick with the version Apple provides with OS X and never had any troubles.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple doesn't provide Flash, you have to install it from Adobe.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not that I remember, IIRC, I had to install it the first time I went to a site with Flash on it.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Actually, it does.

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I think your browser(s) use "Flash Player.plugin" & flashplayer.xpt from /Library/"Internet Plug-Ins" or ~/Library/"Internet Plug-Ins"

PS I have the same Macromedia folder but it only contains Shockwave.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wonder why I had to install it? :confused:

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Perhaps your plugins folder got screwed up?

12. aross99 thread starter macrumors 68000

aross99

There was more to this an just the plug in. The plug in was replaced with a uninstall/install, but something about the files in that other folder caused the problem.

I agree that it was probably left over from a previous version. I only figured it out after I realized that the problem had to be outside of the user folder, which meant it was probably in /Library.

My MBP has both the Shockwave the Flash files in this directory and it still works, so I guess the Flash file must have become corrupt or something...

13. dog24 macrumors member

Yesterday the same problem started happening to me, it came out of the blue. I reinstalled, deleted, everything I could think of, nothing works. :(

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You didn't. You're too used to Windows.

15. dog24 macrumors member

Also I've noticed that youtube never freezes even in HD, but sites like southparkstudios.com, megavideo and mlb.com do. /=

16. cyberhongi macrumors newbie

I had the same issue of freezing up in safari and firefox on my imac, but not on my Macbook pro, tried the uninstall/reinstall flash plugin, problem remained. I finally found (in what seemed to be unrelated forum) the Close browser, delete file: /user/library/prefrences/Macromedia/Flash Player. then open browser, and since then no more freezing up on random sites with flash.. Hope this helps :apple: