Flash gala doesn't work properly on Macbook pro 15" '10

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rev.b, May 3, 2010.

1. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

Now this is odd. It doesn't work with gpu acceleration on HD videos (no white square on left corner) in Safari and Firefox, and as expected, the Nvidia 330M doen't even kick in.

However, it does work in Opera 10.5 on the Macbook pro, and in all browsers in my '09 20" iMac (9400M)!

I already repaired permissions, uninstalled and reinstalled flash, and I can't get hardware acceleration in flash on the macbook pro! It reports version 10,1,81,3 in both Macbook and iMac. What gives?

This is a proper video to try it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw . If anyone with a 330M iMac has Flash 10.1 preview (gala) installed, please try it - select 720p and see if it gets a small white square on the left upper corner.

Thanks.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

3. JimKirk macrumors 6502

It kicks the NVIDIA for 1080p videos

search 1080p youtube

4. rev.b thread starter macrumors regular

rev.b

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Evidently not :)

6. rev.b thread starter macrumors regular

rev.b

hmmm, you're right. What a mess.

Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5U8suTUw0
    The Dark Knight trailer. On the iMac, all resolutions are hardware accelerated. On the Macbook pro, only 1080p gets the white square...

Bring html5, please. And make h.264 work on firefox ;)

7. JimKirk macrumors 6502

I actually prefer it this way. Uses less power.

Actually the intel GPU should be capable of hardware decoding 1080p.

The NVIDIA GPU should not even be necessary.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I have a 15" i5 and when using Firefox playing that video at 720p I get the white square in the top corner.

[​IMG]

9. rev.b thread starter macrumors regular

rev.b

So I actually am missing something here.

Firefox:

[​IMG]

Opera:

[​IMG]

1080p does get the square in both browsers, though. 720p doesn't work on safari / firefox. So I guess it's my system to blame.

RossMc, do you have hi-res or normal LCD on the 15"?

10. Eleventeen macrumors newbie

I have noticed that if you're not using the nVidia discrete graphics on the newer models (i5/i7) *before* the video starts, the acceleration won't activate.

11. Pax macrumors 6502a

On my MBP C2D with the 9400m I don't see the white square either, but I believe the hardware acceleration is working because the CPU utilisation approximately halved for the same movie compared with the previous non-Gala 10.1 beta.

12. John Kotches macrumors 6502

On my 2009 BP, I had lots of browser hangs (not responding) with Gala -- and it was browser independent. This was happening for FF, Safari and Opera. At least it was an equal opportunity failure!

Since switching back to 10.0.x I have not had any issues with hangs/no response.

I used the uninstaller to clean up before and after gala.

Cheers,

13. rev.b thread starter macrumors regular

rev.b

Bingo. That's correct.
    If I start up Mplayer OSX extended (that immediately toggles the nvidia card, even without displaying video, god knows why), and then open the aforementioned video on firefox, there's the white square.

People getting hardware acceleration on 720p must have some process triggering the discrete card - beware ;)

Really, flash is screwed up in so many ways that's almost frighting... :eek:

14. xaquaticx macrumors regular

I know. I like what Flash can DO but the OS X Flash player complete garbage. they've had years and it's crap. So if HTML 5 or whatever gives us better performance and Steve Jobs manages to rid us of Flash, well, good.

Flash full screen Gala does NOT work on my MBP i5 15". It freezes video. Audio keeps going.