Flash "GetURL" issue

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm creating a simple flash banner that acts also as a menu bar and on each of the section buttons i have a line of code with the following:

Code:
    getURL("index.html",_self);
    the linkage all works and I know I've done this before, but for some stupid reason (most likely mine) it opens up the link in a new window (in safari at least). Which totally defeats the purpose of having a menubar.

There is also a regular html text version of the menu items at the bottom of the page with the target set at _self and they work fine - exactly as you would expect - opening up the link in the same window.

So what do I do to get the flash to open the page in the same window without spawning a new one every time?

Thanks,

D

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Did you try putting single or double quotes around the _self? The underscore may be playing games with ActionScript, I've seen similar things before.

jW

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

None - and its not supposed to.

Putting quotes there kills the link - so it doesn't connect with anything.

D

4. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Are you getting the website from another site or within your website server?

an outside server:

getURL("http://www.macrumors.com", "_self")

From on your server/folder:

getURL("folder1/folder2/index.html", "_self")

Also, do you have several different fla's imbedded into a larger one? Than you might have to direct the "index.html" to the correct fla (such as _root.contents or movie1.contents)

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ok, the "_self" works - only it only works when I upload it to the site, not when I get the files from my computer. That's annoying :mad:

Thanks so much! :D

I'll provide links to this new site in a bit - I have a bunch more work to do first though....

D

6. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Sorry that I forgot to mention that certain commands only work correctly when uploaded. Please post links to new site; I'm always interested in seeing others work.

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have to get a couple more animations done before I show the link :D

D