Flash help needed, how to make a rotating earth

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sk3pt1c, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

hi there, i've found examples and tutorials of rotating globes like this one
    but what i wanna do is animate just the longitude/latitude lines over a sphere with a gradient fill so that it looks like it's spinning...
    any thoughts?
    thanks!

2. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Unless I'm forgetting something, animating latitude and longitude wouldn't make the image appear to be spinning,

Your best bet is to follow the example, or, for a better effect write some code using a 3D library.

I know Papervision has a built in sphere object, and I'm betting Away3D does too. Animating a globe like that would look MUCH better, and you wouldn't have to come up with a complicated .fla setup.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i had no knowledge of Papervision, the examples look amazing but are sadly beyond my level on Flash so i will stick to animating the background behind the long/lat lines as you suggested, thank you kind sir :)

4. mzd macrumors 6502a

did you get this far in your research into papervision?
    http://code.google.com/p/papervision3d/wiki/Getting_Started_FAQ

it really doesn't look that difficult and most of the code is copy+paste. i imagine you could figure it out in at least as much time as it would take you to re-create and modify the youtube example to give you the rotating lines.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i've already done a small animation that looks passable but thanks for the link, i will definitely take some time this weekend to set it up and play with it
    thank you! :)