Flash - How to get two MovieClips to communicate to each other?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by LimeiBook86, Jan 6, 2008.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to accomplish something similar to the first example on this page. However, instead of having the items in two different Flash movies, I want to keep both items in the same movie, just in different MovieClips.

What I'm trying to do is have a MovieClip communicate to another item. See the image below as I try to explain. I'm trying to create a scroll menu for my Portfolio page. I use the ScrollPane component to create a scroll box around the content (which is a MovieClip), inside that content are buttons. The problem is I want the buttons to communicate to an external MovieClip or Text box, which would be the gray Description box below. :)

So when you click on or mouse-over a button, a block of text will appear in the center describing each separate item. I'm not the best with ActionScript so I'm trying to figure out how I can get this to work. I'm using the latest version of Flash but the document is using ActionScript 2.0.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :D

Attached Files:

2. barrysfarm macrumors regular

If the 2 movieclips are placed on the stage at the same level, you could do something like:

_root.descriptionArea.gotoAndPlay("specific description");

or a safer route would be the following:

this._parent.descriptionArea.gotoAndPlay("specific description");

I believe that's right. I can't remember if _parent has the underscore or not in AS2. It doesn't in AS3.

Edit:
    It doesn't have to be gotoAndPlay() either. You could trigger a custom function in actionscript, trigger a timeline action for the targeted movieclip (like play(), stop(), gotoAndPlay()). gotoAndStop()

Edit: Added more.