Flash in 10.6.2 Causing Hanging Browsers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ColinEC, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Reset the PRAM - Fixed Problem

Every time I navigate to a page that has Flash elements into it (e.g. YouTube), Safari hangs and my computer beach balls. I can't view any pages with Flash elements in them (or at least pages that have multiple Flash elements) without Safari freezing and causing me to kill Safari through Force Quit.

To try to fix this problem, I reset Safari (resetting every available option), repaired permissions, restarted, and nothing worked. Then I used the Flash uninstaller from Adobe's website to uninstall Flash, then reinstall a fresh copy which did not work.

I reinstalled Snow Leopard, updated all of my system's software, and then tried to view YouTube.com and the same problem still occurred.

Now I originally thought that the Safari 4.0.4 update caused the problem. However - after I reinstalled Snow Leopard and updated to 10.6.2, I downloaded to Camino to see if YouTube would work, but to my surprise it didn't. The same exact problem I'm having with Safari (entire browser freezing when viewing a page with Flash such as YouTube) is also happening with a 3rd-party browser (Camino).

This leads me to believe that 10.6.2 may be the source of the problem (as I never had this problem with 10.6.1), not the 4.0.4. Any ideas on how to correct this problem? I cannot go on websites with Flash elements in them, even with a 3rd-party browser.

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

1) Check your version of Flash against the version for download at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

If you have the latest version then you'll need to perform additional debugging steps.

2) Take a look at this for some debugging steps that can help.

3. ColinEC thread starter macrumors 6502

Reset my PRAM and that seemed to work for now! Hopefully it won't happen again.

4. PatLTTI macrumors newbie

PatLTTI

I had that problem with 10.6/10.6.1, thankfully 10.6.2 seemed to make it better/barely noticeable. Flash support hasn’t been all that great on the mac. make sure to check that you have the newest version. In case nothing you have done works, there is a safari plug-in called clicktoflash, which I recommend checking out.