Flash in iWeb Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndrewLyle, May 4, 2009.

1. AndrewLyle macrumors member

Hello,

I am having a bit of a design issue i could use some advice on. I would like a flash based splash screen for my site. I have the flash movie embedded in a blank iWeb page. The flash file uses getURL to link to the main page. but it loads within the iweb frame instead of reloading the page.

see here

It should be loading This

Is there a clean way of doing this?

2. SailorTom macrumors regular

you need to insert a re-direct into the main page, rather than just the frame. You would need to do this after iWeb has published the page, in which case it's just as practical to add the flash after iWeb has published setting it in a div rather than iframe

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Having load to a new page? I don't flash that well but at the end of the build can you have the flash file re-direct to a new page?

4. AndrewLyle thread starter macrumors member

What i was doing before was publishing the flash file so the flash movie would load first and then redirect to the iweb site (ie flash movie wasn't in an iweb frame but was loaded as a file). but i couldn't figure out how to center it. is this your suggestion or is it something else?

That is what is happening. In the first link the flash file says getURL to redirect to the projects page, but iWeb reloads the page within the flash frame. What i need to to is break the frame and reload the real page

5. SailorTom macrumors regular

If i understand correctly: At the moment you have the flash movie embedded into a page in iWeb, and the flash movie re-directs to the rest of the site, but it only shows up where the the flash movie was. Before you only loaded the flash movie file your browser, which re-directs to the iWebsite.

If so, no it's not really what i suggested. When you embed a movie etc into iWeb it creates an iframe in the html, and the iframe has it's own set of html, sort of like a webpage in a webpage but in your case flash inside a webpage. What you need to do is set the webpage to redirect to teh rest of your website. There is no way to set this using iWeb so you will have to do it manually after iWeb has published the site. Google html redirect

6. AndrewLyle thread starter macrumors member

Wont that disable publishing from iWeb... i would love to keep that feature

Is there anything wrong with loading the swf file in the browser?

7. SailorTom macrumors regular

You can still use iWeb to publish to a local folder. Then edit the html to put the refresh tag in and upload it manually. You won't be able to use the built in FTP client in iWeb09. Also each time you publish the site with iWeb, it'll replace all files. This is ok as long as you haven't changed your first page because then you don't need to change it on your server. If you do change the first page though you will need to re-add the refresh tag.

There's nothing wrong 'per se' with loading the swf in the browser, but as you found out it won't centre. The only way to position it in the browser is to use html/css (I don't know flash, but i doubt there is any clever flash stuff to do that). Also when you navigate to a site a browser looks for index.html so unless who types the address specifically puts in the address for your flash file, they'll never see it anyway.

8. ysebarros macrumors newbie

Could you tell me how to
    Then edit the html to put the refresh tag in and upload it manually.

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I am a novice on iweb and on all web stuff actually, but I have a iweb site and wanted to make it more appealing

Thanks

9. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

10. SailorTom macrumors regular

Navigate in finder to the folder you published to, there will likely be a file index.html and a folder or two. Go into the folder and find your first page then open in textedit.

Add the refresh meta tag into the header along with all the other meta tags. I can't remember what the tag is exactly. I'm sure googling 'html refresh meta tag' or something similar will help though ;)