Flash in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by abz1981, Dec 6, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all

So I am wondering how well flash is handled within Mavericks. Is it still a drain on the system as it was with previous OS's.

This is my situation, I don't have flash on my MBA. I use Safari. Thinking of using Chrome when it comes to flash. However then I will have to put up with switching browsers each time I want to watch a video that involves flash. Before anyone suggests just use Chrome. I have tried using Chrome as a main browser. However i am just too used to Safari.

Thoughts and Opinions please??

thanks in advance

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is better in Mavs as Safari is now handled as a separate process per tab, so if you have a wild Flash tab running the OS can deal with it.

That said, I still don't install Flash and just use Chrome like you mentioned when I need Flash.

Here is an Applescript that will launch the foremost Safari page in Chrome to make this easier. Just paste this into Applescript Editor and save it as an application and put it in your Dock if you want. Then is you hit a Safari page that needs Flash, just click the app and Chrome will launch with that page already running.

Code:
    tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
    tell application "Google Chrome"
    	activate
    	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
    	tell window 1
    		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
    			set URL of active tab to currentURL
    		else
    			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
    		end if
    	end tell
    end tell

3. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your input here. Hmm if its handled better in Mavericks. Then I may just download it, and also install click2flash I think its called. :)

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Mavericks/Safari 7 includes a subset of Click2Flash functionality in Safari Preferences/Security/Manage Web Site Settings. It was enough to let me feel comfortable installing Flash and ditching Chrome.

A.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You really don't even need click2flash any longer with Safari 7. There is a new method of managing plugins like Flash in Safari 7 that works much like click2flash.

You can read about it here.

6. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah thanks never knew this. Learn something new each day lol.

----------

Thanks for the link. Its a learning curve for me here.