Flash + iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nampramos, Apr 25, 2012.

1. nampramos macrumors 6502

Hi guys!

I just got my iPad 3 yesterday and I was wondering if I could see flash content on it.

I'm not interesting in websites like cnn or other news sites.

What would be really cool would be to see live streamings from football games and F1.

Thanks!

2. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Not natively.

You'll have to use 3rd party apps, connect to virtual desktops, etc in order to view flash content.

3. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand it is not natively supported.

The purpose of this thread is for gathering information on what better way is there to view flash content on the iPad.

Thanks.

4. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

Photon, Skyfire, iSwifter to name a few apps that support flash (streaming).

5. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Would have been good to know this up front, and not "I was wondering if I could see flash content on my new iPad".

I personally use Splashtop Remote to connect to my iMac. I can stream Hulu.com and other flash video offerings with little to no lag. It will of course depend on how good your computer and network are, but it's my go to app when I need flash.

6. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Did iSwifter ever worked for you?

That was the only one I found yesterday night and it didn't even load up a page.

7. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

It did (i used to watch nba games thru it). Haven't used it in a while though.

8. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't really want a streaming app since I might be away from my MacBook when wanting to see the video streams.

And all the other flash enabled browsers have mixed reviews of working or not.

Paying 5 bucks for something that doesn't work would piss me off...

9. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I bought iSwifter a week ago and it worked perfectly up until last night when there was an update released. After the update it wouldn't load a page. I'm assuming that this will be fixed.

Before that though the app worked great. I would watch full TV shows off websites such as Spike. Also depending on what server you are connected to you can watch Hulu but i have found most of there servers are outside of the US so Hulu isn't guaranteed to work. Besides that its great.

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Puffin Web Browser is by far the best app for handling flash video. Iswifter didn't work for me and the web pages look awful.

11. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. I tried that one now and the first time it crashed. Second attempt it worked but the video just lags so much and has no sound.

It is impossible to watch football (soccer) like this so I don't even want to try with fast moving motorsport like Formula 1.

Guess I'll stick to the old but good MacBook for that.

Thanks anyway guys.

One other thing I wanted to ask is if there is an app to monitor my WiFi speed? I want to check if my new iPad doesn't suffer for WiFi problems...

12. jacob-07 macrumors regular

I've been using iswifter for about a year now. Web pages do not look as good as if they were open in safari, but I haven't came across any issues with watching flash content.

13. matttye macrumors 601

Search for "speedtest" in the app store, that can be used to check your Internet speed. Just make sure wifi is on and you're connected.

14. donnaw macrumors 65816

I use Photon. Haven't had any issues with it. I also use it with my Amazon Prime account to stream video.

15. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Big Bummer.

I was on the brink of purchasing iSwifter, but while still playing around with the free version, found out you can't use it over 3G or 4G service, only wifi. What a jip! So I doubt I will be throwing $4.99 at it now.

Anyone know if Photon works over 3G and 4G connections?

:( :( :( :(