Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The biggest fear I have related to the death of Flash is the damage it may do to web archiving/preservation. I do not know how the Web Archive or other archive sources will deal with this, nor how much of the web precisely is lost without Flash.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
While I agree that Flash in general shouldn't be used, why the urgency? Just because Adobe finally killed it doesn't mean that our Power Macs are suddenly less secure with their decade-old hacked-up versions of Flash onboard. They haven't been secure for years. They probably weren't even secure while Adobe officially supported PowerPC, since Flash is such garbage. But if you've had your reasons for running outdated Flash on your Power Mac all this time, what has really changed?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm keeping it around. Sure it went EOL, but tons of sites still serve flash content, and 99.9% of the software we use on our powerpc macs has been dead or outdated for years as well. I don't see the need to kill flash on my systems. I still use the standalone flash player for hundreds of games i've downloaded. One of my favorite flash sites over the years has been joecartoon. Example interactive flash video/game: https://joecartoon.com/games/play/57/The_Boss

Cheers

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
While I agree that Flash in general shouldn't be used, why the urgency?
I've never hated Flash because of lack of security. You're right in that PowerPC is less secure anyway, so that's never been an issue for me. I hate Flash because it's processor intensive. Other than JS, Flash has been the single biggest resource that drops CPUs to their knees with 100% processor activity.

Flash and other media were my primary focus in making all my config edits to TenFourfox. Websites used to be rampant with this garbage. I'm glad it's gone (it's been gone from my Macs for years now).

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Added the link to Flash if you still need it. See OP, which btw is a wiki

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
I don't understand the animosity towards Flash on PPC systems - with particular regard to video, it's replacements are far more taxing on the CPU and with options like ClickToFlash, it was simplicity to prevent any Flash element on a page from loading.
Any animosity I ever had toward Flash was because back in the day, it was necessary for YouTube and other video offerings, never worked well on the outdated Macs I had, and by reputation was a security threat. Granted, that last one was a largely theoretical danger on PPC Macs.

I remember ClickToFlash, that was a godsend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.