Flash Issues Cause All Browsers to hang/crash on 10.5.7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by walkingcity, Jun 23, 2009.

1. walkingcity macrumors newbie

I recently updated my iMac "24(early 2008 version) to 10.5.7, I usually wait a long time to update, but didn't this time around.
    I started noticing that my browsers(Opera, Firefox and Safari, all latest official versions) started hanging on sites with flash(myspace, youtube etc....) and ultimately crashing or forcing me to force quit. I reinstalled the latest version of flash, which hasn't helped. Currently the only way I can consistently browse for more than a few minutes is to use a flash block plugin for Opera(if I choose to display flash elements, I get a hang and ultimately a crash) My Apple Care expired about 3 days before this issue started to appear(my luck! no problems whatsoever for a year)

Crash Report:(I only had a single window open to a myspace music page in Firefox)
    http://rapidshare.com/files/247983499/Browserhang.rtf
    (I can paste it in here if that's easier, but it was very long)

note: I didn't backup my drive, so reverting to a restore isn't an option, and it would be a hassle to do a fresh install to 10.5.6

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya they should be joined.
    any way. ya that crash report, i have send about 40 or so to apple. etting really sick of this. so its something to do with flash?

EDIT: crashed 3 times already today, all myspace pages. i can't view anyones page.

3. walkingcity thread starter macrumors newbie

seems to be. I've been able to fix it temporarily by downloading the flash uninstaller. Running that, then shutting down(I usually just restart) then rebooting and running the latest flash installer. Like I said this only seems to work temporarily. This seems to be a widespread problem, Apple hasn't helped at all yet.

4. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya im not willing reinstall anything as i know from experience that since i haven't done anything in the near past to cause this (downloading anything) reinstalling isn't going to work. maybe like a plist file can be deleted but besides that i got nothing.

5. mistabaka macrumors member

Is there still no fix for this? Older version of flash that works better with 10.5.7? Flash is crashing safari/firefox at every turn. AH! I can't wait for SL & separate plugin processes.

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon