Flash/Javascript Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightlong, Aug 27, 2012.

1. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I'm confused about the Flash situation, would appreciate advice. When I try to do internet test at Speedtest.net on my Macbook Air (2012, 13/i5/8/256), it says I need to get the latest version of Flash and enable Javascript.

Should I do that? I thought Javascript was disabled because of the trojan earlier this year. Or was something else disabled?

I don't get this message on my 2007 Imac, and so I can do speedtests on that, I'd rather not enable javascript if it makes the computer vulnerable, and I'd rather not put Flash on it, if it is a problem.

However, it would be convenient to be able to test internet speed when i'm in other locations.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's Java, not JavaScript, that should be disabled in your browser until you visit a trusted site that requires it. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

3. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Thanks so much, for your quick and helpful response!