Flash menu over ilayer - Mac Bug

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Centinela66, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Centinela66 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I created a drop down menu in flash. The drop down menu goes over an ilayer. I have set the wmode of the swf to transparent, eventhogh the movie is transparent once you scroll down the ilayer a crippy thing happens. It seems that the background of the swf becomes a picture of the background... I need the menu in flash due to the complexity of other pages in the website and some detailed specification. I have a browser detect javascript function to position the menu due to some bugs in safari and firefox to position absolute divs and very strict positioning specifications. I can use the same script to run specific code to fix the problem in firefox mac. for the flash drop down menu. Any ideas on how to fix this?
    To see bug go to:
    http://www.lestoree.com/test/location2.php
    Thanks...

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

try making a css drop down menu. just search 'suckerfish css dropdown menu' in google, and there should be plenty there that should work fine!

3. Centinela66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried DHTML menus, css, javascript but i cant meet all specifications using them. The css has a bigger issue in mac, the menu get diferent positioning, with javascript hidding divs the menu dissapears before you can select the items and so on. All menus worked perfect in pcs but all of them had some issue in mac. Is there any way to make it work using the flash menu?

4. zim macrumors 65816

zim

What are you talking about? web compliant, xhtml, css and javaScript combo drop downs work fine on the mac. Besides, it isn't the platform that renders the code it is the browser. What browsers are you using? Most all web standard browsers, Mac or PC, work identical. My guess is that you are coding for IE specific and thus not seeing your desired results.

As for your site, personally I don't get the need for doing this in Flash. Flash will limit your audience. Flash is not searchable so the pages don't link up from the perspective of a web spider. That said, the drop downs appear to function fine.

5. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

don't do it using flash or div's. use ul's (unordered lists). There are plenty of tutorials the show you how to easily make a css and ul drop-down menu.

6. Centinela66 thread starter macrumors newbie

In one of the pages, the "image-background" behind the menu is a flash movie. The flash movie fade in and out the images, the menu is supposed to be over the movie. If you use a regular menu (js, css xhtml) over that flash movie in mac, the menu disappears, looks kind of crippy, you go over the menu and appears and then dissapears and appears again, and so on. Even if the menu is in flash that still happens. The solution for that was to create each drop down menu in an independent movie (swf) and then another movie loads all swfs with actionscript continuosly so it remains on top. Creating the menu in only one swf wont solve the problem. The wmode of the flash movies dont work quite well in mac. Eventhough the browser renders the page, the browsers work different in different os and hence render the pages differently depending on the os. The firefox for mac is not the same than for pcs.
    Now, using javscript take a look on what happens: (ignoring the positioning that can be fixed using browser detection scripts and css) the main problem is that you cant select the menu items.. in some cases the menu disappears right when you leave the bottom of the title so you cant select the menu item before it goes away.
    http://lestoree.com/test/location3.php
    After many different approaches the flash solution fit better. The css suggestion sounds great and it was my first choice but i didnt expect to have the problem with the flash background.
    Do you know any solution for either the deappearing thing with the flash as a background or the bug that i mention at the beggining of this blog?
    Thanks a lot.

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I don't think that this is a Mac only issue, I have read complaints from both Mac and Windows users regarding CSS drop downs over Flash content, have even witnessed it. Just to note, Firefox on the Mac does not display this issue while Safari does... so it isn't specific to the OS but the browser and the plug-in.

This info might be helpful.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

9. Centinela66 thread starter macrumors newbie

One Solution:
    Ok this may be helpful.. The solution for this issue for now was to create the menu using only css as suggested (thanks a lot). But when the menu is open and you go down to the second item the first item should become transparent. Since the "a href" tag cannot have 2 behaviors for the hover, i used a javascript (onmouseover="this.style.background='transparent') to get the desired result. For the menus that go over the flash movie the solution for now was to create each dropdown menu in a swf individually, then create a swf that loads all individual menu movies. The movie with all menus goes over the other flash movie. Since it is a flash over flash it seems to work good.
    This may not be the best solution but it works. Any other suggestions are welcome.
    To solve the issue of flash overlapping menus on pcs the solution is to set wmode="transparent". Be careful to ad this in TWO places of the tag object. one is as a <param... and the other is in the last line. It has to be modified in the two places to work on Firefox pc.

10. Centinela66 thread starter macrumors newbie

The 100% css menu wroks fine in all browsers now but if the menu opens over an iframe, the menu goes behind the scroll vertical arrows of the iframe in FF mac. Any ideas how to solve that?

11. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Do you need the iFrame? You could set a div so that the overflow would scroll... not sure if that would display the same results or not.

12. climbersit macrumors newbie

Try that tutorials: http://flash-menu.net/tutorials.html
    Also there online menu builder, so you can create your menu and save it.