Flash/mod GTX 780, what exactly is different?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by superdx, Nov 3, 2013.

1. superdx macrumors regular

Was considering purchasing one of the cards from MacVidCards, but aside from the boot screen, is there any actual performance benefit? I don't really care about the boot screen because I still have a GT 120 plugged in and that shows the boot screen fine.

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

3. superdx thread starter macrumors regular

I bought an FSP Booster X5, so that angle is covered!

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

then i guess you are good to go .. just no boot screen .. if you are running external power .. i would pick up a titan

5. Executor macrumors member

It was my understanding that under windows. The cards won't work at the full PCI-E bandwidth. If you use GPU-Z under windows you'll see that the card is running at PCI-E 1.1 speed. That would result in decreased performance. Not much. But some for sure. Perhaps Macvidcards could chime in and share his expertise?

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I do not have windows installed but from my understanding macvidcards mods the card so you always get the full bandwidth

7. MacVidCards Suspended

Yes, the mod turns on PCIE 2 speeds in Windows as well as on 3,1 Mac Pros in OSX.

Since gaming in Windows in important to some, this is nice touch.

I think people with boot screens really enjoy them. Makes the computer feel like Apple wanted you to have a solid high performance machine.

If you are fine without, great.