Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I know Adobe Flash has not been upgraded for a long time for PPC but for the most part we could get by. Unfortunately today something has happened and all Flash will no longer work in Firefox for PPC. :(

Weird thing is it still seems to work in Safari.:rolleyes:

Anyone else having problems?

My new 27" iMac can't come soon enough! :D

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I know Adobe Flash has not been upgraded for a long time for PPC but for the most part we could get by. Unfortunately today something has happened and all Flash will no longer work in Firefox for PPC. :(

What version of Firefox are you running?

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

Weird thing is it still seems to work in Safari.:rolleyes:

Anyone else having problems?

My new 27" iMac can't come soon enough! :D

It works with Safari... So I'm not quite sure about your claim...

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm running the lastest FireFox made for PPC and the last Flash.

It works with Safari... So I'm not quite sure about your claim...

For a long time now I've not been able to log-in to my YouTube account using FireFox but it works fine in Safari, also got the latest PPC version.

Now I don't know if it was a glitch or something to do with HTML5, does Safari for PPC support HTML5?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

For a long time now I've not been able to log-in to my YouTube account using FireFox but it works fine in Safari, also got the latest PPC version.

Now I don't know if it was a glitch or something to do with HTML5, does Safari for PPC support HTML5?

Safari does have HTML5 support. I would advise not using Firefox 3.6, and instead use Tenfourfox and enable plugins.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Thanks for the advice, I just wish FireFox would still support PPC.

It's sad that any PC running XP is still supported with the latest FF but not Mac OS X.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

I don't know what's going on with your Firefox, but I am using with no issues. I even uploaded an 1080p HD video using Firefox PowerPC...

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I don't know what's going on with your Firefox, but I am using with no issues. I even uploaded an 1080p HD video using Firefox PowerPC...

Like I said I haven't had YouTube access in FF for a long time.

As for the other issue it seems to have gone away, can now play YouTube clips and grab them using DownloadHelper.

But how much longer before PPC is not going to be useful for day-to-day work?

I've been having other issues with my G5 Tower.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Download tenfourfox if you are on 10.4, Aurorafox if you are 10.5, enable plugins and get the latest hacked "11.2" flash, if you absolutely must. Be aware that flash 10.1 is very unsecure (emphasis on the very) on PPC mac now, you are much better off avoiding it if you can.

Mactubes and or Youview will solve the youtube dilema for you. In 10.5 Leopard webkit with Click to plugin extension will also solve it. I am surprised at how much webvideo Click to Plugin can "see" and therefore play in quicktime. It will give you far, far, far superior playback to flash on your PPC macs, unless they are very fast G4's and G5's.

There are also Omniweb, Stainless, Roccat, and processor optimized Camino builds still out there and relatively current for PPC macs. And don't forget iCab. Its my browser of choice these days on PPC OS X, and I predict will be the last one standing two to three years from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.