Flash not sandboxed in safari?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pina, Nov 17, 2013.

1. pina macrumors member

Hi,

I did a clean Mavericks-installation on my MBP, but Safari still asks me to download the flash player-plugin separately in order to play content... I thought flash was sandboxed into safari?

I remember I did a clean install before with Mavericks and back then, I didn't have to install flash player seperately. And besides, I had the power-saver dialog when loading flash content...

[​IMG]

2. drew627 macrumors regular

Sandbox doesn't mean what you think it means..

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

What does a lack of flash being built in have to do with whether or not it is sandboxed? Also, you have always had to have it installed separately, it has never been installed by default. Whether or not you realize you did, you still had to. Unless you were using Chrome, then it is built in.

4. pina thread starter macrumors member

I thought flash was built-in into safari, since I can't remember that I installed it after my last installation of mavericks and because I don't see the "power saver"-feature anymore when loading up flash content. Even after checking on the power-save feature of safari in preferences.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Nope, and I doubt that Apple will ever build it into Safari, they don't really like flash. As for why it doesn't warn you about it anymore ... could be that an update caused it to not use a huge amount of resources?

6. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Flash is built into Google Chrome. All other browsers require installation of the Flash plugin.