Flash not working properly in Firefox

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awer25, Jun 29, 2011.

1. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

As the title suggests, Flash content isn't displaying properly in Firefox, and hasn't been for a long time. I now have FF v.5 and the latest Flash build, but even in various v.4 builds, there was the same problem. I've been switching to Safari whenever it happens, but I'd rather not have to switch browsers to view a single page. I thought I had the same problem in Chrome too, but wasn't able to reproduce the problem today.

Attached are two pictures as an example. The first is in Safari and displays properly, and the second is in FF.

I tried completely removing FF and reinstalling, but to no avail. Does anyone know anything else I can try (besides simply switching browsers)?

Attached Files:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

3. awer25 thread starter macrumors 65816

awer25

I'm using the latest Flash build, but I've tried a few versions before too and it's no better.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Chrome uses its own implementation of Flash, so you shouldn't be able to duplicate the problem in Chrome, unless the error is with the specific website.

Seems like a problem with FF5? I've attached FF 4.0.1 looking at the same stock you are.

Attached Files:

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I just checked it using Firefox 5.0 w/Flash 10.3.181.34 under OS X 10.6.8 without any issues. Do you have any other Firefox add-ons installed that could be interfering?

6. awer25 thread starter macrumors 65816

awer25

I'll have to start disabling and see. It doesn't happen all the time though - maybe 50/50.

7. anotherdave macrumors newbie

I had a problem with Flash and Safari that was finally sorted out by getting it to open in 32 bit mode. So you could try:

Finder > applications > firefox > get info > check "open in 32 bit mode"

8. awer25 thread starter macrumors 65816

awer25

So far so good in 32-bit mode. I'll update the thread if the problem comes back.

9. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I'm glad it is working for you! For future reference, uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox will almost never fix a problem. Some Firefox problems are with plugins (like in this instance), but most are in corrupt profiles. It is a good idea to create a new profile once in a while. If you have been using Firefox for any length of time, you will be shocked at how much faster and smoother it is with a new profile.