Flash not working properly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by timize, Sep 2, 2012.

1. timize macrumors regular

timize

i have a MBA with Mountain Lion installed.

Never had any issues with flash until now. Not sure why... but now, whenever I attempt to watch a video, I keep getting this weird image. It also freezes Safari and Chrome, but the audio still plays.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

try uninstalling flash, and then reinstalling it. Try another browser (FF)

3. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I experienced this anomaly as well at apple.com on the Mac in my signature with the newest version of Flash while on Safari 6.0. Luckily though it was a one-time event.

4. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Is it just the usual Flash "hinkiness" or more?

On my iMac and about 2 weeks after moving to Mtn Lion, I've been seeing these same Flash problems, and can't figure out what's causing them. I've had both Chrome and Safari just stop playing videos in the middle of the day, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Flash several times, and I've run Chrome with either the built-in Flash or the Flash plugin disabled - same result: give it a few hours and no more video.

I thought it was a recurrence of problems with wake after sleep, but I can't prove it. And I've had certain USB devices on a 7-port powered hub stop working reliably since the 10.8 install. They now only work on one of the ports on the back of the iMac - but I'm running out of room. ;^)

Really frustrating, and I'm getting tired of restarting either the browsers or the whole system.

So I'll go out on a limb here: it's Mtn Lion that's causing this . . . And the minute I say this, I know there will be many people who have experienced none of these issues.

I'm also wondering if it's time to do a "clean" install - this has been a series of updates since probably 10.5, so maybe there are some unhappy bits on the drive.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks . . .

5. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I clean install might help, but the account I've had with the issue is also representative of a clean install of 10.8. You could perhaps go ahead and give it a try after backing up your important data, it's not a persistent problem for me- but it has happened.

6. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Thanks - when I get some extra time . . . ;^)

I did some more testing over the weekend, and it seems the Flash-related problems do come about after a wake-from-sleep. As an example, I had the system on all day Sunday, and I put it to sleep maybe 5 different times to go run errands or eat or whatever. After the 3rd wake, I noticed web pages (sites with training videos, for instance) would no longer display the video. The space was blank, but I could click in the space and the audio portion of the video would play. And this also seems to occur more often after an overnight sleep.

This is on Chrome - did not try on Safari or Firefox.

So maybe it's time for a call to AppleCare . . . ;^)

Thanks!

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! Just wow! The solution to a Flash problem is not to wipe your system. The solution to a Flash problem is to uninstall Flash. There is a reason that Steve Jobs hated Flash with a passion. If you cannot dispense with Adobe's God-forsaken POS, then the next best thing is to upgrade to the latest version.

BTW, AppleCare will not help you because:
    • It is a third-party software problem.
    • You have given no evidence that Flash is not behaving normally.

8. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Flash *IS NOT* installed - I'm using Google Chrome, which has its own integrated version.

And my point (albeit farfetched) was that it stops working after a wake-from-sleep, which is Apple-related.

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. With Flash installed, even Safari will exhibit the same issues (i.e., videos on sites that worked earlier in the day no longer work after wake-from-sleep). I'd be very happy to dispense with all this stuff if there was an alternative - but I'm purchasing business-related software products that have training videos on their sites, and very few offer the option to download an .mp4 file. And since 10.8 / Safari 6, I can no longer download the Flash files through Safari (functionality was removed).

It appears I can restart Chrome, and the problem usually goes away. If not, a system reboot often cures it.

No easy solutions . . .

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It sounds like you installed other software that interferes with Flash.