Flash Old Mac ATI 1900XT to work on PC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kronoss, Jan 2, 2010.

1. kronoss macrumors newbie

Is it possible to flash an old Mac ATI 1900XT to work on PC? How?

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I've never flashed back to PC, but I figure it's doable. This is what you'd use:

http://thomas.perrier.name/graphiccelerator.html

You'll also need a PC ROM for the card, you can probably find one on ATI's site. When it's done (provided it works) you'll need a second GPU installed because the card will immediately stop working in OSX. I suggest googling around for procedures/examples to be sure it works. Google for "strangedogs" for info on Mac card flashing/ROMs, most of their stuff is geared towards PC to Mac, but they might have some instrux for going the other way, I can't remember...

You might also want to consider selling the Mac card and buying a PC version (or even a higher grade card); using ebay you can probably make a few dollars as the Mac versions tend to sell for more.

3. MacVidCards Suspended

OP, this guy means well but most of his post is incorrect. Strangedogs only worked on PPC cards, I state this as one of the mods there.

I do agree that you would be better off to sell the Mac card on Ebay and use the resulting funds to purchase a better PC card.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Heh, thanks for the correction. I don't actually own an Intel mac, and I was very tired when I wrote that so I didn't really pay much attention to the model. Definitely listen to Rominator on this one.