Flash on iPad is not blocked like on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nkm, Apr 5, 2010.

1. nkm macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I just got my iPad and I was wondering when I go to the adobe website on my iPhone and it is blocked and said this device is not compatible but when I go on my iPad I could download it. So anyway I was wondering if anyone has seen this as well or if they have done it successfully. I remember when the iPhone first came out the same thing was true where you could download it but it was mess up the iPhone so i am hesitant with the iPad.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

If you're using this to get your hopes up about flash on the ipad - forget about it. This happens merely because Adobe made a specific message for iPhone users to slap them in the face a little bit, but the way they coded it was to show the message for all clients using mobile safari on an "iPhone". They simply haven't coded that page yet to include "iPad" clients yet. Give it a week - they will. It's merely lack of foresight on Adobe's part - not uncommon.

Lee Tom

3. nkm thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha yea i figured they would just want to cause trouble for apple after what Steve said about them so thanks!

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

These 2 giants need to learn to get along... they could make some pretty crazy apps and utilities for the better good! ( especially for artists )

5. JoshJosh117 macrumors 6502

Adobe already has an iPad app called "Adobe Ideas" I believe.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

And I’m sure a Photoshop online iPad app will be available shortly.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I hope Flash is out for good. It immensely slows down my Mac. Flash is just horrible and I really hope the web switches to some other standard.

Plus, Steve Jobs said that flash running on the iPad would bring down the battery life down to just 1.5 hours.

8. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

It will support flash eventually mark my words, Jobs is a stubborn man but he's not stupid and once android tablets and the hp slate start coming out with support for flash he will have to do something in order to keep the iPad from becoming antiquated. There's too many millions of sites for them all to care enough to switch to html5 so once other tablets come out with flash support it will force apples hand either that or everyone will just switch to the alternative.

9. az431 macrumors regular

I hereby nominate the above post as the dumbest post of 2010.

10. thom22 macrumors newbie

I agree, willing to give Air a chance though.

I don't think the other devices enabling flash will make Jobs change his mind. And the users of those devices will not get the experience they are hoping for, check out this article i found yesterday.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/02/20/an-adobe-flash-developer-on-why-the-ipad-cant-use-flash/

Good explanation from a flash developer on why there is and will not be flash on iDevices

11. phillyred79 macrumors regular

Good read... Makes sense.. I can understand the whole mouse-over stuff, but flash video is what I miss the most..

12. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

I might agree except for the fact that I have flash on my android phone and it works just fine ;) No problems with battery life, can get the full version of any web page and watch the video on it, the only problem I've had with it is Hulu doesn't work properly yet but the flash is still beta so I expect that will get fixed.

Point is all this battery life problem, slowdown etc... It's all hyperbole if it can exist on a phone without these problems then surely it can exist on a large touchscreen device such as this without any problems.

People can choose to believe whatever they want but I choose to rely on my own experience to make these types of decisions :)

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Hahaha.

iMac 1998 = no floppy drive
    Steve Jobs said flash = floppy

Jeez, I wonder what would happen?

You obviously haven't used a flash blocker before.

14. ukyo229 Guest

Adobe is pure trash. Their products are garbage and they ruined Macromedia.

The only thing going for them is photoshop, and that's because corporates don't research nothing and just select what is considered the industry standard. These two "giants" need to get along? I remember a time when it was considered "standard" to run photoshop on a Mac :rolleyes:

**** Adobe. I hope HTML5 and H264 for web screws them with flash.

15. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

Yeah, don't expect Flash on iPad... ever.

Steve is working on devaluing Adobe by crushing their most ubiquitous technologies, so when he goes to buy it he ca get a decent deal... If he starts supporting Flash, it's just gonna jack up their price.

16. pooryou macrumors 65816

I miss Macromedia....I also miss the old Adobe who made great products in the 90s :(

17. ikiss, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

ikiss macrumors newbie

bringing this post back to life... Flashing it !

So I'm wondering .. Does the new iPad3 support Flash ?

Ok I'm just answering my own question..... NO! Flash is not supported.

Adobe has ceased all further Flash development in the Mobile industry.. wow!!

So sad really ... I always thought Adobe Flash was brilliant.. Apple sure sucks sometimes, not opening their doors to brilliant opportunities.. stubborn you are Mr Jobbs...

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Wow, two year old thread on Flash... And oh by the way, Jobs isn't stubborn, he's dead...

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

So that make you and Adobe then.

20. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Adobe and Apple were once friends. Their relationship broke around 2000/2001 when one of the main guys at Adobe retired who was able to do deals with Apple. When Apple came back and asked them to make OSX versions of video editing software and photo editing software, they refused which led to bad blood between Apple and Adobe. Apple then made iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, and Logic in order to combat the Adobe systems. iPhoto, Garage Band, and iMovie became the iLife suite that consumers know and love while Aperture, Final Cut Pro, and Logic became the defacto pro versions which were widely used by the most creative minds in their respective businesses.

Since that time, Apple and Adobe had not gotten along. Apple's applications just worked more smoothly and better than Adobe's applications. When it came time for iOS, Flash was not originally supported because Adobe didn't want to give Apple the APIs to make flash work on the devices while also doing the same to BB, Windows Mobile, and Android. That's right, you heard me, Android didn't have flash built in. To this day, BB, Windows Mobile, and Android have to install Flash Lite on their systems in order to get it to run. The experience is actually pretty poor on all of the devices and ended up throttling processor functions which caused the battery drain. To this day, Android users have to curb their usage of flash lite in order to not drain their battery life completely. iOS did not allow Adobe to create a Flash Lite plugin App for iOS since it would allow too much control over iOS and that would eventually allow viruses and malware to attack iOS. If you didn't know that already, you now know it and can check the facts online.

So now that Jobs is deceased, Apple can possibly work something out with Adobe but I highly doubt that they would endanger iOS by allowing Flash backend access. OSX computers that have flash compatible browsers are also at much greater risk for viruses and malware. Adobe's Flash concept had become too top heavy in 2011 and also created back doors for developers to invade your device/computer. Good job Adobe. It's not that they created a bad product concept, it's just that their methods were questionable and led to the decayed state of online animation. Hopefully Adobe will innovate and provide some awesome tools in the near future such as that incredible Sketchbook Ink vector graphic app that we saw at the demo. What iOS users really want are a capacitive pressure sensitive active digitizer stylus to be used on an iPad as well as Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Premiere, and the rest of the CS on an iPad because it would replace the machines that we currently use for content creation.