Flash on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by gravytrain84, Mar 6, 2011.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Is there a reliable flash out there for the iPad? Im trying tO convince myself to buy one Friday but only if I can watch LSU baseball games on it, which uses flash....
    Thanks in advance!

2. SonicRift macrumors newbie

I've had success with live streams using a web browser called Skyfire ($5). Check it out on the app store. It's very case by case, though. I can tell you Justin.tv works, at very least. I watch hockey like that on the John.

3. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Another Louisiana guy loving LSU baseball. Nice to meet ya :D

4. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Sonic, could you tell me if any megavideo videos work online? I watch a good amount of shows on megavideo and not really wanting to pay $5 if it doesn't.

Also, to the op, threes something called frash that allows for flash content but I think you might have to jailbreak for that.

5. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

:cheers:

SHStiger... Where ya from chief? I went to a SHS

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

lots of things you can use to stream video...

justin.tv app for one.

7. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Slidell High School. Don't tell me you went to Salmen...:p

8. ghdtpdna macrumors newbie

New to Apple

I have never owned an Apple product to date (Android owner).
    However, the new iPad2 seems to be very well priced and spec'd.
    Only thing that might stop me from purchasing would be the lack of flash.
    iPad2 will be used mainly for browsing and media experience.
    How complete is Frash compared to the official Flash Player? Would you consider it still a beta? Is there any common problems?
    Thanks and look forward to joining the community.

9. Zermelo macrumors regular

Frash is still very much in beta stages, in fact, I haven't seen an update in the 7 or 8 months it's been out. It will NOT play any video whatsoever. At most you will be able to play some flash games. The best you could possible do is use Skyfire and frash, but there are still some sites, like Hulu which will just not work.

Unless you use something like Cloud Browse which is essentially controlling a desktop browser, you will not get full flash content.

10. GT-R macrumors member

i have skyfire for iphone, alot of flash videos online have those annoying popups that you have to click away first before you can watch the video on skyfire, and because of this, some of the videos wont work

also, if you have say one tv episode, split into two flash videos and posted on the same page, skyfire will only load the first video

there are also no playback buttons like rewind/ff, so if you watch a video and get interrupted, u have to load the whole thing again and start from the beginning.

again, this is the iphone4 app, maybe ipad is diff but i doubt it

but hey, some flash videos is better than no flash videos... :p

11. AIen macrumors newbie

That's very good to hear. However, can someone please tell me if StatTracker from Yahoo! Fantasy Sports will work on it? :mad::confused:

Also, can you please tell me how much of the http://atdhenet.tv/# live streams will work on it? At least a fraction would be good :)

12. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

New flash player!!
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/ipad-gets-flash-yet-again-with-iswifter-app-android-version-com/

Apparently it loads ALL flash, not on demand like skyfire nor detection of the "main" video needed. Hulu, facebook, etc. all work but it won't save your login info due to privacy issues since it is their server side processing the data.

Skyfire btw, is GARBAGE. $4.99, what a load of crap. None of the flash sites I wanted to see worked on it. At first, I must admit i thought it was awesome but using it, it's a pretty crappy browser trying to integrate a half-assed social networking type menu in the bottom toolbar, while trying to run flash. Most of the time, the video isn't detected. If there's more than 1 vid, you're out of luck. It won't even load youtube saying that it can't play embedded, etc. And when it DOES load, like southpark studios, you can't fast forward or skip or rewind. it's streaming.. like the tv.

13. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Yes, you do have to jailbreak for Frash, and it is buggy.

Unless you're only interested in what Flash advertising you are missing, I'd forget about it.

14. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

When I saw the iSwifter app in the App store, I had to download it to try it. It isn't half bad. It loads up video without having to "analyze" the web page like Skyfire. It plays live webcam broadcasts from the internet, which is one of the only reasons I would want Flash. If you don't want to jailbreak your iPad but want streaming Flash video, it's definately worth a try. It doesn't cost anything to download in the App store. It is a little jerky & clunky, but if the developers & company running the servers can get some support & constructive feedback, they could make the app great.

15. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Does iswifter work for y'all?? Locks up every time I open it...:confused:

16. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

It works for me. I've used it many times to good results. You might possibly try to delete it & redownload it.

17. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I finally got it to work. Watched some family guy on hulu

18. Maaz macrumors 6502a

i love i swifter so much, hope they update it in the very near future to be more smooth.

19. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

I just found out about this and it works great on hulu :D, I brought it since they mention a 100% will go to Japan relief.

20. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Am i the only one having trouble with iswifter? Almost every time I open the app, it freezes when I type in the url and hit go..:confused:

21. Maaz macrumors 6502a

That's weird. It's working perfect for me. Try deleting and re downloading the app.

22. bossxii macrumors 68000

ISwifter works rather well on my iPad 2, however it does struggle a bit more on my brothers iPad 1. Clearly more CPU, Ram and GPU power but I figured all the conversion was done on their servers.

Anyhow, I was more than happy to pay .99 cent for an app that gives me Hulu on the iPad!!

23. beebo87 macrumors member

is iswifter only on ipad? sounds like something i'd like to use for my iphone as well.

24. gman901 macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what I have been looking for on the iPad!!! I was going to purchase an android device just to access certain flash sites, but this one app eliminates any need for android now! It would be cool to have it for the iPhone. Is there anyway to get back to the payment screen because I hit cancel while evaluating it and now my web pages are loading without asking for payment. I will gladly pay what they are asking. I hope this application continues to work.

25. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

There is also a good browser for flash called Puffin. To me since the update it runs better than Iswifter and you can save bookmarks.