Flash on IPAD

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mjaco002, Jun 7, 2011.

1. mjaco002 macrumors member

Guess what is going to happen...flash can be viewed on ipad through Onlive...

Onlive announced at E3 that they will be releasing an updated version of their app which will have a browser support in it and you can view Flash videos and websites on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX0bs10-Vs&feature=player_detailpage

its at the 5min mark.

2. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Thats coo - but I'm kinda getting over flash.. Just annoying already.

3. HelloPanda macrumors member

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Uhm.. You can do the same thing (cloud browsing / flash) today with iSwifter.

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

The future is web standards like HTML5 and thanks to apple I have seen almost every website I visit adopt them.

Biggest reason I don't miss flash? I don't have to see those annoying flashing flash ads on my iPad ;)

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Having used an android tablet for one day, flash sucks. Im sure there are other reasons for apple to keep it off ($$) it really sucks.

Badly.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you set Flash to "on demand" you will never be bothered by them. However, now you will have no way to avoid html5-based ads.

8. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Exactly. I haven't looked into this, but how is it any different than what iSwifter does?

Speaking of iSwifter, why the heck can't it be used through 3G? Very annoying limitation.

9. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

Well Onlive is a cloud gaming platform...the basic concept is that the games are being played on their servers some 1000 of miles away and the content is streamed to you.

Its free to sign up and you can play games for 30 minutes for free...

I have never tried iSwifter...I will try and see how this is different...

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I never understood this line of thought.

So if Flash disappeared overnight, you don't think all these annoying ads wouldn't be re-coded in HTML5 ?

What's a programming language/environment got to do with the code/programs people create with it?

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Good stuff. Just last night I ran into a couple of flash sites on my iPad including Discovery. It's annoying running into several sites a day that just don't work.

I use onlive on my laptop, they are the real deal. Having them stream games for the iPad will be huge IMO.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Link is to a flash site, this would be comical if it wasn't so damn sad.

13. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

I don't get it...

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I can't watch the video you linked because it's in flash. I didn't see any links to a html5 video but maybe I missed it?

15. Syk macrumors 6502a

So what's the cost of this going to be if you didn't want to play games but just surf? The little I watched does look promising

16. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

that is interesting...i can see the video on my iPhone without any problems.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think Apple is responsible for HTML5. Just sayin'.

18. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Odd, I get the "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video" message in the video. This is on my ipad2.

19. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Works fine for me on my iPad.

Maybe you're using a 3rd party browser and have the user agent set to appear as a desktop browser? That would also explain your issues with the Discovery channel website and your problems with other Flash sites. If a website doesn't see you're using an iPad, you won't see the iPad-enabled version of the site...

20. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Works fine on my iPad 2 through Atomic

21. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

That's a possibility I'll check it out, thanks for the tip.

22. thetwiztidfreak macrumors newbie

lol me either and them trying to force everyone to run html5 has not work at ALL i know none of the site i visit (slashfilm.com for one) have updated to html 5.
    and also who ever said bestthing about no flash is not annoying ads haha wait till html5 really does start taking over and i guarantee you will have those again just not using flash. sites use those ads for revune to run site, they are not gonna pay out of pocket forever.

23. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

I'm really looking forward to a 3rd party browser that can run flash well on demand on the iPad. Contrary to everyones beliefs its going to take many many more years for the majority of the internet to move away from flash/silverlight etc.

Even when sites just make an app instead of recoding their webpage the app is usually lacking in features or is premium (i.e. I have to pay for or within the app)