Flash on Macs-Am i just lucky?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macdudesir, Jul 21, 2011.

?

Does flash heat up your iMac?

1. 20" iMac-Yes flash heats up my mac and makes it loud

8.3%
  2. 20" iMac-No flash does not heat up my mac

8.3%
  3. 24" iMac-Yes flash heats up my mac and makes it loud

8.3%
  4. 24" iMac-No flash does not heat up my mac

8.3%
  5. 21" iMac-Yes flash heats up my mac and makes it loud

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 21" iMac-No flash does not heat up my mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 27" iMac-Yes flash heats up my mac and makes it loud

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 27" iMac-No flash does not heat up my mac

66.7%
  1. macdudesir, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

macdudesir macrumors 6502

Ive been reading so much about flash making Macs heat up and speed up the fans but it has never done that to me...I have a 27" iMac quad core i5 2.7ghz and i can watch 1080p flash for hours and only have my temp go up 5 degrees...and fans not speed up at all...mostly because flash only uses about 5% cpu...i can even play flash games where it uses 80% cpu and have the temp go up about 20-30 degrees and not have my fans speed up...the only way i really can get my fans to speed up is with a hot room (84 degrees) and 30 min of 100% usage on all cores...and then they barely speed up and no thats not an smc issues because the temp only goes up to 65C max I've ever seen on the CPU....i can (somewhat) understand it on the Macbook Pro's...the new ones...because of their overactive temps...but i can't understand it on any of the iMacs (and yes I've seen people saying its happening on iMacs) So I'm asking, am i just lucky? or is it just the few hundred people out of all the iMac owners posting their problems and nobody posting their good iMacs...so i am asking you all with iMacs that don't get hot from flash to post here so i can get the just of how many people this happens too...

EDIT:If you have an iMac not listed in the poll tell us what iMac you have and if it happens to you in a reply post...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't think many people still had them....i guess since i don't see a way to edit the poll ill just edit the original post for people with different iMacs then those listed...

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm just messing with you. ;)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This isn't really an issue with iMacs and other desktops. They have bigger fans and better cooling overall so Flash won't make them sound like an airplane. However, it's a bigger issue with laptops because the fans are more trigger happy.

My 24" iMac has never heated up because of Flash but every time I run Flash on my MBA, the fans start to spin.

6. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

It makes since that desktops have better cooling, I'm not going to argue that...but flash shouldn't be using more CPU on laptops than desktops meaning it should only be around 5% CPU usage for a 1080p video and even on a laptop i don't see how that can make it heat up...i guess i need to get myself a macbook :) now air or pro.......lol jk thats a different thread...

7. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

flash does heat up my 24" iMac but never to the point that the fans start becoming noticeable, in fact if I notice high temperatures or am doing processor intensive work I'll bump the fans up myself just for peace of mind.