Flash on MBA (frustrations help!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Matt8045, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Matt8045 macrumors regular

My girlfriend and I were able to get ourselves two MBA's yesterday. We got the most recent version that was updated in April. We are both unable to see any flash videos. I follow the directions to download flash and during the install process it tells me that I need to close Safari. I don't have safari open during the install progress so it's causing some frustrations amongst us. Is there any thing I need to be doing differently to get it to install? This is happening on both of our computers. I've owned an MBA before but didn't have this problem. Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you've already downloaded the Flash installer you could always restart your MBA so that you guarantee that no apps are running, then launch the installer.

3. Matt8045 thread starter macrumors regular

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Are you new to Macs? Assuming yes:

If you close certain apps (ex: Safari)... the application may still be running. If you see a little lite on the dock under the application, then it is running. You can right click the application and select "close"

If you are experienced with Macs... sorry if I stated the obvious.

/Jim

5. teffers macrumors regular

I think the confusion (for users new to os/x) is the fact that the red button on the top left of applications doesn't actually 'quit' the application, rather it simply closes the active window. The app continues to run in the background, with no idication whatsoever on the dock (no asterix / light etc).

@ Matt - just for info :) the way to completely close an application is to either:

Click the app's first menu (it's the one with the app's name) and select QUIT

or

press CMD + Q (this quits the app).

Have fun with your shiney new MBAs :D

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

As the above member posted, closing a window will not close the application. To make certain any of your apps are closed, look on your dock (at the bottom of the screen). If an application is open, there will be a blue dot underneath it. To fully close the app, either right-click or hold left click down on the icon, and select close from the pop-up menu. Just for future reference!

Best,
    Matt

Edit: There are many ways to close apps, the one I mentioned is my personal preference as it has the easiest visual queues.

7. Cool MBA macrumors newbie

Cool MBA

Just a suggestion, you could download "click to flash" under safari extensions..It replaces flash with html 5..works on all the youtube videos i've tried so far and no issues, not a power hungry monger like flash player lol