Flash on Safari: Enable on Demand?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael Goff, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Michael Goff, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Is there any way I can get this beyond the ClicktoPlugin extension?

Edit: Preferably without extensions in general.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

In Safari v7, you can manage plug-ins on a site-by-site basis in preferences, under the Security tab.

A.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Yes, but that's a binary yes or no. I either have all the plugins or none of them. There is no "ask each time", and it has to reload the page every time even if there was one.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

This way perhaps:

Click on Manage Website settings.
    [​IMG]

Choose the setting for Flash as required.
    [​IMG]

5. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Once again, my point is missed. It is either an allow all for a website or allow none for a website. There is no putting up a dozen tabs of YouTube and then choosing to let them use flash one at a time without then having to reset the 'ask' option every time I open the browser.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Why don't you want to use an extension. Safari doesn't do what you want by default. But because Safari supports extensions, people can and have written extensions that do exactly what you want.

7. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Because on every platform I've ever used extensions on, it made the browser slower. Also, I know that ClicktoFlash also automatically turns it to html5 and then skips ads on YouTube. That's not something I agree with.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

Fair enough.

Have you thought about some scripting that will allow you to open the current page in Chrome? It's a set up that I use. I don't have flash installed on my machine, but I have Chrome installed for pages requiring flash.

I use Alfred and an Alfred workflow to open the current Safari tab in Chrome. You could probably write or find a script to do the same thing.

9. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I have banished Chrome from my system. Not because of security, but because their implementation of Flash sucks up CPU and RAM. It is just plain terrible.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

:D Well, I'm all out of ideas. Best of luck.

11. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Thanks for trying.

12. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Are you sure? It looks like I could change MacRumors (for example) to "Ask" and set other sites to "Allow" or "Block." Try opening up all of your tabs and THEN check the settings that Dave suggested.

Attached Files:

13. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I have, unless it's a bug on my case. It asks once and then keeps the setting. I either allow forever, don't allow forever, or don't allow this one time. Those are the three options. So I guess I can disallow it a few times without it being a forever on option. But when you allow it, you allow it all on the website.

14. rversteegh macrumors member

Slightly off topic I know, but any chance of some details on this Alfred extension? I too want flash generally away from safari but still want use of online video every now and then.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040