flash on safari/firefox/chrome

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rmt5, Jul 17, 2011.

1. rmt5 macrumors member

I moved to a macbook pro a few months ago (10.6.8), and found that watching flash videos using firefox or chrome caused my laptop to heat up greatly and the fans to spin constantly. I read this was a very common problem. I was wondering if this has been fixed at all, because I'd *really* like to use chrome or firefox instead of safari for a variety of reasons.

Thanks!

2. arjo macrumors member

arjo

The problem isn't with the browser – it's with Flash itself. Flash is very resource intensive and hasn't always performed that well on Mac platforms. If you haven't done it already, update to the latest version (there seems to have been *some* performance improvement since 10.1).

3. unixperience macrumors regular

I'm guessing you used to use something besides osx before your macbook and you are sticking with firefox/chrome because it's what you are used to. But id like to say then i assume you moved o quite a few other mac programs, why not try safari? it's actually a very nice browser(unless you use specific plugins that are made for those other browsers you use, then switching isn't easy)

but safari uses the fewest resources of firefox/chrome/opera. if you ever open up activity monitor while you are browsing you'll see safari doesnt use as much memory or cpu, while just surfing or streaming video, downloading. it's really very efficient, and since it uses less cpu it keeps your computer a lot cooler. One example is netflix(using silverlight plugin), i watch videos on there all the time, with chrome i've seen it go as high as 75% cpu usage, with safari it hovers at maybe 30-50% flash numebrs also show a change between browsers.

I'd recommend giving safari a test drive, and see if it your comp stays cooler with flash. O yeah heres a sidenote, it may not work well with flash. but when you watch full screen your computer will shift more of the processing to the gpu(integrated or discrete) than the cpu. the gpu is much more efficient(cooler) when processing video than the cpu, so you can try watching things full screen. unfortunately if you want to do many things at once, flash won't stay full screen, but it's an idea :)

4. rmt5 thread starter macrumors member

I actually have been using safari now for these past few months, and I agree it is in many ways a fine browser. There are just a few things I really don't like about it that I miss from firefox/chrome. None of the adblocking solutions seem to be anywhere as good as those on the other two (I use adblocker and glimmer blocker). I also don't like the way it handles tabs, and I miss the clever, rapid-fire development of new, innovative chrome features. I'm just looking to stay informed on the difference in resource-intensiveness among the browsers on the mac platform, since that's my biggest priority.

thanks!