Flash on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fusion19, Oct 31, 2007.

1. fusion19 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know why the current iPhones cannot display Flash in the Safari web browser? You would think that the ability to display Flash would be a no-brainer for Apple, yet is was not included when the iPhone was first released, and somehow escaped its inclusion in the 1.1.1 update. Hopefully, Apple will correct this major letdown soon, seeing that many major websites today have some sort of Flash animation.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

from what i understand its an adobe issue and not an apple issue ....

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

personally i find that flash is used mostly in adverts, and in online media (youTube as an example). I dont think i'd miss flash. Ill see in a week and a couple of days once it hits the UK.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i dont know ... a lot of movies and games and things use flash ... and a lot of websites are based on it ....

5. fusion19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, OK. It's nice to know whose end the problem is comming from. Thanks.

6. fusion19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true. Which is why the absence of Flash on the iPhone is even more annoying.

7. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

I don't understand adobe. They are a very large company that sell very popular (and in some cases) very expensive producs. Yet they consistently fail to keep them updated with the latest developments .eg. the switch to intel or recently the move to leopard. This flash on the iphone issue is just another example in this long line.
    Surely i'm missing something, no other companies of a similar size take such a poor attitude towards updating their products, its not like they dont have the resources to get newer versions out the door.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

[​IMG]

9. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

lol. okok an exaggeration on my part for dramatic emphasis, a certain redmond based software company did spring to mind when i was writing the aforementioned post.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Okay, I'll bite. Where would you get an idea like that?

Adobe seems happy to port Flash to anything. Apple seems unhappy to allow third party software, and has no SDK for Adobe to use.

Seems pretty clear that it's entirely an Apple issue.

11. natasha69 macrumors 6502

flash = 3rd party aps like google chat runs or mini versions of skype = easier way for people to bypass ATT and make calls directly over internet.

i think its neither adobe or apple here guys. ATT is probably the one you want to throw the rotten fruit at.

12. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

maybe because iphone is apples 1st phone EVER, maybe because the os is extremely new, maybe because flash isnt an internet standard. it will be there, be patient, why else would safari have a plug-ins menu. i for one love it not having flash, makes most sites load a lot faster.

13. PuppyLuv macrumors member

Apple should just make their own flash program such as Microsoft made silverlight, but think of it this way, would flash perform well on an IPhone? I hear most macs and pcs ram usage tends to go up when opening a page with flash its a big hog.

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

from other people on this site.... It is a new OS and there might not have been enough time (or demand) for them to get this out to the iPhone yet...

I'm not saying its a hard set fact. Its just what I understand it to be....

15. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think it's both Apple and Adobe at blame. Adobe currently has Flash players that would work on iPhone but Apple wants a version of flash player that will not only work well on iPhone, but I think they also want a player that will not run down the battery life. I am guessing that once this is developed we will see it in an iPhone update.

16. calvy macrumors 65816

Fat chance on that one. They can't even develop a plugin for Linux/Mac or Windows that doesn't drive cpu usage through the roof, I can't imagine they'd make anything more effecient on a mobile device. I can just imagine leaving safari open on a flash enabled page and having my battery dead as a door nail in an hour.

17. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I agree with you about it being very difficult to develop and that is why I think if/when they do finally release flash for iPhone, there will have to be a switch in settings where you can turn flash on and off. That way makes sense to me for those who don't want flash at all or for those who don't want it to drain battery life unless they need to use it.