Flash opening to index.html page

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bntz313, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to make a flash opening that when done playing or if skipped goes to the index.html file of the site.

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Thank you for that bit of news. And your question is? :) (kidding)

Since you did not ask one - I'm going to speak for alot of people on here (not all) who in the past have posted replies over and over stating that a SPLASH PAGE, which is what you're describing, is a bad choice in design. First off, it's a nuisance, people want to get right to content. Secondly, although it is a way to ensure the Flash plugin is installed prior to navigating your internal site, you are forcing Flash on users. It does not matter that 95% of the users have Flash, it's just not a "best practice" based on user feedback here and also my personal experience. Take that as you see fit, of course. Then consider iPhone users and users with other PDA's that might not support Flash, we're talking serious problems getting to your content, and considering for developing for such devices is more important today than it was even a few years ago.

Finally, and this is much more serious, this is bad for SEO. Search engines these days don't just examine your HTML, they index based on content and of course all your important content is hidden behind this page when crawled.

Subjectively, some people think Flash splash screens are "so yesterday" i.e. it's more than just an obstacle, but old school. I don't agree with that entirely, but there is alot of sentiment about. There is one thing that is common to almost all, and that is the Flash must be of the highest quality and extremely well designed and produced. Bad Flash, especially on a splash page, will turn visitors away before the page even fully loads.

But don't let me stop you from asking whatever is you wish to ask.

;)

-jim

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Splash intro page are USELESS. Waste of bandwidth and waste of user time.

Do not use unless you want to drive a portion of your users away before they can actually read the site content.

4. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well my work wanted be to make a splash screen/page/animation for the new site I'm designing. I'ma try and ask my boss if I can due with out.

How would I make the button in flash go to the html page or when the animation is done go straight to it.

5. samwich macrumors regular

if you're in as2 on the last frame of the animation, in a new layer called actions you can add this code to the frame

PHP:
    stop();
    getURL("index.html""_self");
    in as3 it's a little bit longer

PHP:
    stop();

var 
    request:URLRequest = new URLRequest("index.html");
    navigateToURL(request,"_self");
    *this would make it go straight to the page, if the code was on the last frame of the animation

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

We understand those are your requirements, don't take what we said personally. If you have a good relationship with your client or PM, whoever you need to ask, it's critical that you justify your reasoning. Be sure to briefly mention the tech stuff I discussed (i.e. less hits and SEO) but stress what really matters -> This means less sales, less traffic, less impact on their business sector, and of course less MONEY for the client. Suggest as an alternative (and I'd develop a separate prototype to demonstrate) to maybe use a smaller version of the flash presentation in the masthead of the site which is very common these days. Meaning, Flash is properly used to extend the look/feel of the site, not overtake or replace it.

That would be an approach to 1) make you look good and 2) do what's best for your client and of course 3) fully inform them as to options - an educated client who appreciates your efforts will bring in new business usually.

If you have a horrible relationship, then just do as told and remember this for the next project that comes along. Not worth causing trouble in this economy. Nobody here accuse me of being spineless, btw! heh ;)

-jim