Flash Options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by donp2112, Nov 29, 2010.

1. donp2112 macrumors newbie

As you can see this is my first post. My MBA arrives today and I'm looking to make sure that I start off on the right foot and maintain a clean and stable environment. I've been away from Macs for a very long time (first one in 1984, but I digress) so I've been reading quite a bit and one area that has caught my attention is Flash.There seem to be quite a few different opinions and approaches; I think I understand some of the issues, specifically performance and battery life. I'm probably going to start off with Firefox because that is where I live today in Windows, but will probably also install Chrome and of course Safari is already there.

My question: Should I just rely on browser plug-ins, install Flash from Adobe or go the Click-to-flash route? If browser plug-in, I assume these are browser specific and downloadable through the browser?

Other thoughts to share with a noob?

Thanks, Don

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Just install from adobe, then use Click to flash or flashblock depending on which browser you want to use, if you don't want flash to automatically play.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Chrome has built-in Flash player. For other browsers you need to get it from Adobe. I also got my MBA today and I simply installed ClickToFlash and AdBlock (I hate ads and most of them are Flash based nowadays), along with Flash of course. I rarely use Flash so it's not a big issue for me.

I've also heard some people having Flash only in e.g. Chrome so when they need to access pages with Flash, they'll fire up Chrome and use it.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Besides flash-blocker plugins, there are also plugins that force HTML5 content when possible.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Is there such a plug in for Firefox?

I tried using Safari for ClicktoFlash but since I've gotten used to TabCandy in firefox, using Safari just feels weird. And every new link I click in Youtubde in Firefox, Flash crashes and shows the crashed plug in box. Really annoying.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Firefox doesn't support H.264 codec (because it's not free) which is what most HTML5 videos use.