Flash: Passing of variables to SWF from anchor links...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Bakey, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Bakey macrumors 6502

Afternoon folks.

I'm stuck!

I've not used Flash for anything major in years - but I've been tasked with sorting out a quick and dirty Flash based video player.

Everything's looking good and working as it should; so the FLV is being streamed into the container Flash SWF, nice UI graphics going on as well.

But, I now need to take it one step beyond and pass a variable through to the SWF so as it (the SWF) will then stream/playback an FLV of the same name.

I envisage (for example) five anchor links on the same page, with the Flash video container SWF sat there waiting to be told what to bring in... Clicking any of the anchor links will then pass the variable through to the SWF and it will in-turn begin to play that particular FLV.

It all sounds incredibly simple to achieve... But can I find out how to do it? Nope!!

If anyone out there could possibly point me in the direction of something even vaguely similar with respect to the passing of variables it would be very, very, very much appreciated!!

Thanks in-advance guys, Mark :)

2. designguy79 macrumors 6502

3. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help Designguy79 - I'll be sure to check that out later!

Kind regards.

4. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Right... In 7 years of being on Macrumors you're the first jockey to have responded in such a manner. So, well done you!

There's really no need son - I did indeed Google my query and I was finding the responses weren't directly attributable to my requirements.

In future, think about your response before you hit the submit button! :rolleyes:

5. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

I assumed you hadn't, since the very first hit was a great tutotial on exactly what you asked about.

6. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

You assumed incorrectly!

Now, let's move on like the sensible adults we are and prey that I'm not burning too much of the midnight oil getting this Flash job completed... :)

7. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

good luck with it
    (and perhaps don't be so thin-skinned--it wasn't an insult)