Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I have installed flash player 9 at least 10 times now and when I right click on a flash object in safari or firefox, it says flash player 9. But when I want to go on something that requires flash 9, it says I need to install it, such as google street view.

What could be the problem?

NealSpencer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
Gainesville Florida
safari and the Adobe Flash player

I have the same problem :mad: and I wonder if one of you that is more adapt at the Mac X operating system or the Safari Beta could give us an idea of why the Adobe Flash 9 will not stick.

Thanks,

Neal

NeoLink

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
You need to quit Safari so it will install properly.

"Installation of Adobe Flash Player may require administrative access to your PC, which is normally provided by your IT department. For the installation to succeed, you will be asked to close all open browser windows during the installation.
Click the download link to begin installation. If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to save the installer to your desktop.
Save the Installer to your desktop, and wait for it to download completely.

Read and click through the dialog boxes. You will be prompted to close all open browser windows to continue with the installation.
When the Install button appears, click it to install Adobe Flash Player into your browser's plug-ins folder.
You can verify the version you have installed by visiting the About Flash Player page."

NealSpencer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
Gainesville Florida
Still have a problem with Safari and Adobe Flash

:confused: The directions you gave Neolink were exactly what I have done any number of times but the program just will not stick. The Apple Pro is mine and I have administrative rights.
any other ideas?

thanks for the suggestions,

Neal

zacamjo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
G5Unit & NealSpencer, I'm having the same issue. I'm on a G5 iMac (2.0ghz PPC proc, 2gb RAM). I purchased a new 400gb SATA HD and installed it two days ago, proceeded to install OS X 10.4 and gradually restore my files (manually... I'm not using some app to restore files in an automated fashion). I noticed I didn't have the Flash Player installed when I tried viewing a page on cnn.com and encountered a message saying Flash Player 8 was installed but I needed Flash Payer 9.

I've downloaded Flash Player 9 several times now from Adobe's website as well as others (VersionTracker, Mac Update, etc.) Each time I've made sure the binary is either universal or for PPC. All browser instances are closed before installation (Safari isn't running in *any* form when I proceed with the Flash Player 9 installation, confirmed through Activity Monitor). Yet I keep encountering the same error message at cnn.com as well as other sites where the Flash Player is used (digg.com and others).

This is very frustrating. The weather is too nice outside this weekend so I'm not paying too much attention to this at the moment, but it's hard to think of something I could've done differently or something I did wrong.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have the same problem :mad: and I wonder if one of you that is more adapt at the Mac X operating system or the Safari Beta could give us an idea of why the Adobe Flash 9 will not stick.

Thanks,

Neal

Are you able to view Flash content in another browser?

If all you have is a beta version, you should consider that it could be part of the problem.

Have you gone to the Flash confirmation web page on the Adobe web site?

zacamjo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Flash 9 not working with Safari

Flash content does appear fine in Firefox and Camino, does not work at all in Safari nor Opera. All browsers were installed using the latest public (non-beta) copy including Safari; hoping I might solve the issue if I switched to the Safari beta (3.03), I installed it but the same behavior persists.

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2003
I have installed flash player 9 at least 10 times now and when I right click on a flash object in safari or firefox, it says flash player 9. But when I want to go on something that requires flash 9, it says I need to install it, such as google street view.

What could be the problem?

Where you able to resolve the problem? Has anybody been able to resolve the problem? I tried downloading Flash 9 and Shockwave to see if one of them would work and neither does. I disabled my Norton software to see that would help at all annd it didn't.

Can anybody help solve this problem for me?

Flash content does appear fine in Firefox and Camino, does not work at all in Safari nor Opera. All browsers were installed using the latest public (non-beta) copy including Safari; hoping I might solve the issue if I switched to the Safari beta (3.03), I installed it but the same behavior persists.

Exactly the same thing here. In fact, even Shiira has the same problems.

sumojim

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Got it to work

I've had the same problem for about a week. I found this on the Adobe support page. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webfor...id=184&threadid=1267248&enterthread=y#4577694
It worked immediately after I repaired the permissions. Hope it helps.

Go to your Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities). Select your start up volume on the left and click the "first aid" tab. From there click the "repair disk permissions" button. Then re-install Flash Player.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
My dad had the same problem .....

We fixed it by unchecking the "enable flash" check box in the quicktime system preferences, and unchecking flash in the MIME settings.

zacamjo

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Fixed!

sumojim, CONFIRMED! :)

I uninstalled both Flash Player 9 and Shockwave (did both just to be safe). Re-booted, then installed Flash Player 9. Upon completion of installation, I immediately ran "Fix Permissions" in the Disk Utility and everything works like a champ, now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.