Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
truz said:
Shockwave Flash
Java Plug-in (CFM)
QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4
QuickTime Plug-In 7.0.4
Java Plug-in for Cocoa
iPhotoPhotocast
Java Plug-in
Shockwave for Director
Shockwave Flash

Don't know why I have two quicktimes and two shockwaves but I'm about to fix that ;)

Ordinarily there are 2 QT plugins, the Quicktime plugin and the Quicktime web plugin, so that's nothing unusual. If you downloaded Flash Player 8 from Macromedia, that might explain why you have two Flash plugins, one is the original intel-ready Flash player that came preinstalled with your system, and the other is Flash player 8 that you downloaded. Because both are probably different binaries, Flash Player 8's installer wouldn't recognize the original intel-based Flash Player and install itself as if no Flash player existed.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
I had flash player installed but it was not loading anything via flash. I ended up reinstalling. But the whole error was not turning on Rosetta in Safari. There is no supported Flash Player for intel macs yet. I found this fix for flash player on adobes website (not macromedia) and more then 10 people fixed there system after turning Rosetta on. Anyone who has flash working check and see if Rosetta is running as most likly it is.

thetourist

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2003
Everything was working fine and fine in safari before I installed Flash 8 and it was like "let me put the flash player on!" and i was like "whatetever". It worked natively the way it came from apple, and now you have to throw it into rosetta because macromedia can't get on the ****ing ball after having dev kits for 8 months. Now nothing works properly. Love it. Love it, macromedia...way to go.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
thetourist said:
Everything was working fine and fine in safari before I installed Flash 8 and it was like "let me put the flash player on!" and i was like "whatetever". It worked natively the way it came from apple, and now you have to throw it into rosetta because macromedia can't get on the ****ing ball after having dev kits for 8 months. Now nothing works properly. Love it. Love it, macromedia...way to go.

Well there's something you can try that might get you back to good old native again, but since I don't have an intel mac, no guarantees that it will work so you're on your own...

1) Download Pacifist if you don't have it. I don't know if it's been ported to universal yet, but with luck it will still work in Rosetta if it hasn't.

2) Fire up your installation/restore disk and use Pacifist to locate the original Flash plugin on the disk. (probably in /system/library/internet plug-ins). If you find it, save it to the desktop.

3) Get the Flash uninstaller for Flash 8 from Macromedia's website. Run the uninstaller then repair permissions using disk utility afterwards (Macromedia's "Vice" installer that they insist on using has a habit of screwing up permissions).

4) Move the "native" flash player plugin to /system/library/internet plug-ins

5) Run repair permissions again

6) (Optional) restart.

7) Fire up non-Rosettafied Safari and select "installed plug-ins" from the help menu. Verify that the flash player plugin it (hopefully) reports is the same that you extracted using Pacifist and installed in the internet plug-ins folder.

8) Hopefully, your back to native Safari with Flash.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
People..

ALL of the Intel based iMacs come with native Safari WITH a flash plug-in that WORKS.period.It DOES NOT need to run under Rosetta.

If you're having a problem with flash and you HAVE NOT installed ANY version of Flash other than what came with the computer please go to Apple's discussions and READ..

There IS NO UPDATE for the flash plug-in..
This topic is causing people to get confused..

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Peace said:
People..

ALL of the Intel based iMacs come with native Safari WITH a flash plug-in that WORKS.period.It DOES NOT need to run under Rosetta.

If you're having a problem with flash and you HAVE NOT installed ANY version of Flash other than what came with the computer please go to Apple's discussions and READ..

Agreed. And by all means, DO NOT install the OS X Flash Player 8 currently on Macromedia's website if you have an iMac Core Duo or else you will indeed foul everything up.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Peace said:
People..

OK, i guess im having problems because i installed macromedia studio 8. if im not mistaken that installs flash player 8

anyway i can reverse it?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I zipped my /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder to here:

http://formymac.com/MR/plugins.zip (~4MB)

No guarantees, but I don't think I've added anything in the four days I've had the 17" iMac (if so, sorry). Safari runs fine for me. I would image you could simply unzip this in place of your current (and backed-up, of course) Internet Plug-Ins folder.

Note that this is the top-level Library folder, not your user one.

thetourist

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2003
jsw said:
I zipped my /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder to here:

http://formymac.com/MR/plugins.zip (~4MB)

No guarantees, but I don't think I've added anything in the four days I've had the 17" iMac (if so, sorry). Safari runs fine for me. I would image you could simply unzip this in place of your current (and backed-up, of course) Internet Plug-Ins folder.

Note that this is the top-level Library folder, not your user one.

I love you. It worked. as to the poster who clearly just didn't get it...WE KNOW THAT EVERYTHING WORKED FINE, we all installed the flashplayer because (probably) we installed studio 8. now we all know not to do that!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
thetourist said:
I love you....
Aw, shucks... :eek:

Anyway: I did install one plugin - the Adobe SVG viewer - so the NPSVG3* files can be deleted (Safari ignores the plugin anyway, unlike under PPC, but Firefox 1.5 uses it instead of its own built-in SVG rendering, which works fine on PPC... go figure).

newRisingsun

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2006
Here Is How You Fix The Flash Player Problem

Here is the situation. The Intel Machines Apple released come loaded with a Universal Binary Flash Player. This allows Safari which is a Univerals Binary App to to run natively on the new Intel achitecture. The problem is that this Player gets overwritten very easily with marcomedia's Flash Player 8 (which in NOT UniBin) when you install other programs like Flash, Dreamweaver etc. Or simply get an error and make the mistake of downloading the "old" player from Marcomedia

When this happens Safari will no longer view Flash in its native run mode. One fix has been explained here. The rosetta fix. This simply turns Safari into a PowerPC app, runs it through the rosetta translation and slows down considerabley. But you can view flash because the faulty plugin does its thing

NOTE: until applications are released that are native UniBin macs you may notice that apps (non apple) on your machine run a bit slower than they should, or that you would expect. This is becasue they are, by default running through Rosetta. This is the same situation as when macs first became PowerPC's. Apps ran through a translation alogrithim (whihc Rosetta also is) allowing old software to talk to new hardware. Remember Speed Doubler? This was simply a BETTER 3rd party translation algorithim, taht worked over the one mac wrote and installed. It "doubled your speed" because it was just a better, faster translator. Incidetally. Rosetta is far superior little bugger that caches code as it goes along .... blah blah Your impressions may vary given what system speed you migrated from .... I digress)

The reason Explorer and other Browser Apps view flash is that they are already non UniBin apps and their plugins run fine, anything you downlaod and potentially overwrite makes no difference.

SO HERE IS THE WAY TO REALLY FIX IT! Without resorting to Rosetta. And I thank a variety of sources for this work around. What you need to do is reintall the OS. YIKES! Don't Panic. This is what I was going to do, because what we need is the orginal flash player.plugin. Luckily, I didn't resort to that too quickly.

What you need to do is extract the plugin from the install packets without running an install. So Download Pacifist.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/s...tion=search&str=pacifist&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0

Load it up, slot in Disc on to the System OS that came with the computer. Wait. It will allow you to access the Mac OS Install files, when the CD spins up. It will take a bit to load them up Use the find function (top left) to seach for flash Player. It will locate it. Extract it (top right) to the desktop. Go to ~/library/Internet Plugins. take the old flash player out (save it anywhere as a bacjup just in case) and drop in the new one. Relaod Safari. Everything is fix and running natively.

NOTE: why macromedia does not have this themselves, or why apple doesn't have a download for it plastered all over their homepage I don't know. Things don't always go as smoothly as one would like.

newRisingsun

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2006
Solution To Flash Player Problem

Here is the situation. The Intel Machines Apple released come loaded with a Universal Binary Flash Player. This allows Safari which is a Univerals Binary App to to run natively on the new Intel achitecture. The problem is that this Player gets overwritten very easily with marcomedia's Flash Player 8 (which in NOT UniBin) when you install other programs like Flash, Dreamweaver etc. Or simply get an error and make the mistake of downloading the "old" player from Marcomedia

When this happens Safari will no longer view Flash in its native run mode. One fix has been explained here. The rosetta fix. This simply turns Safari into a PowerPC app, runs it through the rosetta translation and slows down considerabley. But you can view flash because the faulty plugin does its thing

NOTE: until applications are released that are native UniBin macs you may notice that apps (non apple) on your machine run a bit slower than they should, or that you would expect. This is becasue they are, by default running through Rosetta. This is the same situation as when macs first became PowerPC's. Apps ran through a translation alogrithim (whihc Rosetta also is) allowing old software to talk to new hardware. Remember Speed Doubler? This was simply a BETTER 3rd party translation algorithim, taht worked over the one mac wrote and installed. It "doubled your speed" because it was just a better, faster translator. Incidetally. Rosetta is far superior little bugger that caches code as it goes along .... blah blah Your impressions may vary given what system speed you migrated from .... I digress)

The reason Explorer and other Browser Apps view flash is that they are already non UniBin apps and their plugins run fine, anything you downlaod and potentially overwrite makes no difference.

SO HERE IS THE WAY TO REALLY FIX IT! Without resorting to Rosetta. And I thank a variety of sources for this work around. What you need to do is reintall the OS. YIKES! Don't Panic. This is what I was going to do, because what we need is the orginal flash player.plugin. Luckily, I didn't resort to that too quickly.

What you need to do is extract the plugin from the install packets without running an install. So Download Pacifist.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/s...tion=search&str=pacifist&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0

Load it up, slot in Disc on to the System OS that came with the computer. Wait. It will allow you to access the Mac OS Install files, when the CD spins up. It will take a bit to load them up Use the find function (top left) to seach for flash Player. It will locate it. Extract it (top right) to the desktop. Go to ~/library/Internet Plugins. take the old flash player out (save it anywhere as a bacjup just in case) and drop in the new one. Relaod Safari. Everything is fix and running natively.

NOTE: why macromedia does not have this themselves, or why apple doesn't have a download for it plastered all over their homepage I don't know. Things don't always go as smoothly as one would like.

LunchBox8484

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2006
I got my MacBook Pro earlier this week and it had Flash 8 preinstalled. Websites with flash work fine, its only things like Macromedia Player (I think) that doesn't work in Safari. Example:

Site that works:
http://macromedia.com/

Site that doesn't:
http://addictinggames.com/driversed.html

I'm just throwing it out there for other Intel users to test.

Of course, running Safari with Rosetta works but with some slowdown. Other plugins like Windows Media Player, force you to open their videos in the program itself rather than in the browser in Safari. Videos still work perfectly in the program, regardless. Just gotta wait for a universal version of WMP (if they will ever make one).

truz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
This is an old thread.. We already found a fix for this. At the time NO websites had information about intel flash player.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
flash never worked for me on my intel core solo mac mini i just got. but it worked after i did the first fix listed at the beginning of the thread. Thanks!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
wPod said:
flash never worked for me on my intel core solo mac mini i just got. but it worked after i did the first fix listed at the beginning of the thread. Thanks!

I recommend the newer build instead (8.0.27.0 vs. 8.0.23.0). It fixes few critical issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.