Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rxiesling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hi,
Adobe flash player version 125 is out. But I noticed that the file downloaded from adobe website and system preference is slightly different:
AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller_14_ltrosxd_aaa_aih.dmg (Adobe site)
AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller_14au_ltrosxd_aaa_aih.dmg (system preference)
It is strange that the one downloaded from system preference has suffix "au" in the file name. I have US English os.
I normally update flash player from system preference, but this "au" file bothers me.
Anybody notice that?
How do you update flash player?
Thank you.

springlering

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
I got a similar message to update Adobe, and "AU" download. The way the file was titled in the OSX download folder made it also look like it said "IT" (I later realized it was lt" and part of a longer file name, but it concerned me at first glance). That didn't make sense, so I didn't complete the installation either.

The file that downloaded via the automated warning was called:
AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller_14au_ltrosxd_aaa_aih.dmg

I tried googling the name of the file, and all I got were a handful of odd and somewhat suspect websites, other than this post. I would have expected to have a direct link back to Adobe.

Maybe I'm unnecessarily paranoid, but, I am, so there you go.

I went directly to Adobe's website instead and downloaded the file directly off their website, and the file I downloaded is called:
AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller_14_ltrosxd_aaa_aih.dmg

Same, but lacking the AU.

I'm no expert by any means (I belong in the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" class of user). Although it seems legit, I'd rather get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So I deleted the automated download, and installed the one I got directly from Adobe.

I'd give you the link, but I never download stuff from links in random posts, and you shouldn't either. Just google Adobe Flash Player download and use the one called "get.adobe".

Rxiesling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Thank you for your post.
I too installed the update downloaded from Adobe site directly.
But it is so strange that the system leads to a difference file. Why would Adobe make two versions for same version of os x?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It is strange that the one downloaded from system preference has suffix "au" in the file name. I have US English os.
I normally update flash player from system preference, but this "au" file bothers me.
Anybody notice that?
How do you update flash player?
Thank you.
AU=AutoUpdate
Just update from the preference pane if that's the most convenient for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.