Flash Player Update...Not for iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iwhat???, Jun 22, 2009.

1. iwhat??? macrumors member

Here is an article about how they are releasing a beta version of Flash 10 on most other smartphones except the iphone currently.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10270274-1.html?tag=rb_content;tabbedPromoUnitHolder

Back at GSMA 2009, Adobe announced that it would bring Flash Player 10 to a number of smartphones in 2010, and it looks like Adobe is making good on its promise.

In a Q2 audio press release, Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen confirmed that Adobe will release a beta version of Flash Player 10 for a number of smartphone browsers, including Windows Mobile, Google Android, Palm WebOS, and Symbian devices, in October. In addition, Narayen said ARM, Nvidia, Broadcom, Intel, TI, and Qualcomm are currently optimizing the player for their products right now.

Obviously, this is great news for smartphone owners, but one platform noticeably missing from the list is the iPhone OS. This doesn't rule out Flash support on iPhones in the future, however. In the past, Adobe executives have stated that it's coming, but Apple is operating on its own schedule.

In CNET News' Maggie Reardon's original report on Flash Player 10 in February, Anup Murarka, director of Technology Strategy and Partner Development for Adobe, said, "We would love to see it on the iPhone, too. But it's Apple's decision on when and how they support any new technology. So we will continue to work on it."

While iPhone users will have to wait (why do I imagine some people pointing at iPhone users and doing this?), others can get a sneak peek of what's to come in October in the video below, in which Adobe shows off Flash Player 10 on Google Android.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That sucks. I was hoping we'd have flash sooner than later.

3. iwhat??? thread starter macrumors member

As an iphone newbie and getting my 3GS this week, I thought we'd have it in 3.0. I'm pretty disappointed as well.

4. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

me 2 !!!

I was really hoping it would be part of the 3.0 release.....

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Apple aren't interested in allowing Flash on their phone as it will allow "stealth applications" to be installed outwith the App Store.

Also there's the fact that Flash is a resource hog - check the CPU usage when running YouTube on your Mac.

Finally, it doesn't matter how streamlined Adobe make Flash, Flash developers can still produce poorly-written apps that kill your hardware.