Flash Player works in Safari but not stand alone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dbernie41, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dbernie41 macrumors regular

I have some old .swfs that I made that I wanted to watch and I just downloaded flash player 9 and I can watch flash files in a browser fine but those on my hard drive wont work. Every time I try to open one it asks me what I would like to use to open the file. Any suggestions?

2. rickiac macrumors newbie

Flash Player works in Safari but not stand alone

That is b/c you need the "standalone" player. Downloading flash is only the browser plug-in. You need the complete standalone player.
    Go to http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Go down to the list titled "Adobe Flash Player 9 — Standalone Players (Projectors) for Macintosh" and d/l the correct player. :)

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Or if you'd rather not DL a separate program, just tell it to open in Safari when it asks you. You can play Flash files form your HD in Safari just fine.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

QuickTime will open some Flash files as well. There's a preference in there somewhere. If it works for them, right or Control click on a file, go to Get Info, change it to QT, then click on the button that says change all. Otherwise, the standalone player works fine too. Or use Safari. Or VLC.

5. dbernie41 thread starter macrumors regular