flash player

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by robbiebox, Jan 26, 2012.

1. robbiebox macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Help and knowledge please, I thought I would try and get away from the micro-soft empire, not wanting to fork out a couple of grand I thought it would be a good idea to start with a secondhand mac.

Think I got a good deal little used Dual 2Ghz powerpc G5, 4gb DDR2 SDRAM, 2 hard drives 1x250gb & 1x500gb, apple mouse and keyboard, bluetooth and wireless with a Philips monitor, currently loaded with Leopard 10.5.8 OS X.

Ok so I like it so far, until I went onto channel 4 food website and find I can`t play any of the videos, it asks for Flash player yet when I try to download it I get a message saying this application won`t run, I`ve tried different releases of Flash player but so far no success.
    So the question is which version of Flash player do I need, or is there another program that will work.
    I don`t have any trouble with Utube that all plays ok.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you can play YouTube videos, you should have Flash installed, unless you do it any other way. Check your Flash version via Safari > Help > Installed Plug-Ins > Shockwave Flash (bottom of the page) and report it here.
    Flash is now Intel only, thus PPC Macs aren't supported anymore, and C4 obviously needs a current Flash version.

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html 10.1, the last flash version available for PowerPC, a dual 2.0 G5 should be able to play your videos okay'ish, flash on a PowerPC is awful btw, incase you didn't know. To view YouTube videos easier, you can download MacTubes too.

4. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Try This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrAKhv3R_c It worked for me and all most all webpages that need flash work now:)

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

If you are using Ten Four Fox 8 (not 9, 9 disables plug ins), you can use a cool xpi that the TFF guys created called Quick Time Enabler, which forces Youtube videos to play right in the browser using QT. It works GREAT. I've tried it on a G4 MDD and a G4 eMac. There's no need to deal with Flash or external players.

Scroll down to A Promising Solution For the Future for an explanation and screen shots...

http://lowendmac.com/ed/patting/11sb/youtube-on-g4-macs.html

And download it here (direct link to XPI, otherwise click on the link on the above link and look for "download the .xpi" buried in the text on the TFF blog for the link):

http://tenfourfox.googlecode.com/files/tenfourfox-quicktime-enabler-alpha113.xpi

After you download it, installation is simple. Drag and drop the file into any open window in TFF and a pop up window asks if you want to install the xpi file. Click yes and you're done.

When you want to play a Youtube video, simply right click, scroll down to Open Youtube Video in Quicktime (I recommend SD resolution on PPC's), and it starts the video in QT after a 1-2 second pause. It's fantastic.

Keep in mind that you do not want to upgrade to TFF 9 if you're doing this, it will disable the plugin.

You can find TFF 8 and download it from here: http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/downloads/list, you want the 8.0 RC/Final build for your particular processor.

6. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

You can use plugins in Tenfourfox 9 by editing the about config settings. look for tenfourfox.plugins.enabled in about config set it to true (By Double clicking on it):) it is the same way to enable it in tenfourfox 8 as well:) Plugins came disabled by default in Tenfourfox 6+. But this hack enabled's it again:D

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Excellent, thanks.

8. robbiebox thread starter macrumors newbie

flashplayer

Hi Guys, thanks for all the help and info. Ok my Shockwave Flash is “11.1r102”

Quicktime Plug-in “7.7”

I know have BBC iplayer and the yahoo videos working as said utube has always worked, for whatever reason I still can`t get Channel 4od vids to play.

So 2 out of 3 ain`t that bad for an older system.
    Cheers guys.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

enable developer tools in safari then choose safari 5.01 should be the first one..that'll tell websites your using an intel mac..Amazon streaming won't stream to a PPC but will to intel, that how I watch flash based movies from them on my G5

10. Wildy macrumors 6502

For some reason they have recently changed everything on the Channel 4 website to require the latest version of flash (I had this problem with 4OD). There's another thread on here with a fix. If you download this:
    http://www.steelbin.com/FPforFBPPC.zip and follow the instructions. It's a replacement for the Safari flash plugin to trick websites into thinking that you have flash 11. Works a treat with no major performance hits.

11. robbiebox thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers thanks for that will do that now

12. Anasebi, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

Anasebi macrumors newbie

Awesome stuff, but despite not being in the program it keeps autoloading HTML5. blocking the menu. Another major problem is it only works for Youtube, not Bliptv or Vimeo.... the latter two sites need a plugin like this to play ANYTHING where as any moderately powerful G4 can handle low res Youtube. I know they are using HTML5 now, but they are on to something as I have seen video downloader programs like this that work on any type of web player. Only a matter of time.

13. ahollywoodcraig macrumors member

I never saw this before. It fixed all of the flash issues I was having with TFF9. Thanks for the share!!

14. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Pretty sure PowerPC isn't supported on 11.1