flash player

robbiebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Chester UK.
Hi guys,

Help and knowledge please, I thought I would try and get away from the micro-soft empire, not wanting to fork out a couple of grand I thought it would be a good idea to start with a secondhand mac.

Think I got a good deal little used Dual 2Ghz powerpc G5, 4gb DDR2 SDRAM, 2 hard drives 1x250gb & 1x500gb, apple mouse and keyboard, bluetooth and wireless with a Philips monitor, currently loaded with Leopard 10.5.8 OS X.

Ok so I like it so far, until I went onto channel 4 food website and find I can`t play any of the videos, it asks for Flash player yet when I try to download it I get a message saying this application won`t run, I`ve tried different releases of Flash player but so far no success.
So the question is which version of Flash player do I need, or is there another program that will work.
I don`t have any trouble with Utube that all plays ok.

Thanks in anticipation.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you can play YouTube videos, you should have Flash installed, unless you do it any other way. Check your Flash version via Safari > Help > Installed Plug-Ins > Shockwave Flash (bottom of the page) and report it here.
Flash is now Intel only, thus PPC Macs aren't supported anymore, and C4 obviously needs a current Flash version.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
Hi guys,

Help and knowledge please, I thought I would try and get away from the micro-soft empire, not wanting to fork out a couple of grand I thought it would be a good idea to start with a secondhand mac.

Think I got a good deal little used Dual 2Ghz powerpc G5, 4gb DDR2 SDRAM, 2 hard drives 1x250gb & 1x500gb, apple mouse and keyboard, bluetooth and wireless with a Philips monitor, currently loaded with Leopard 10.5.8 OS X.

Ok so I like it so far, until I went onto channel 4 food website and find I can`t play any of the videos, it asks for Flash player yet when I try to download it I get a message saying this application won`t run, I`ve tried different releases of Flash player but so far no success.
So the question is which version of Flash player do I need, or is there another program that will work.
I don`t have any trouble with Utube that all plays ok.

Thanks in anticipation.
Try This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrAKhv3R_c It worked for me and all most all webpages that need flash work now:)

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
If you are using Ten Four Fox 8 (not 9, 9 disables plug ins), you can use a cool xpi that the TFF guys created called Quick Time Enabler, which forces Youtube videos to play right in the browser using QT. It works GREAT. I've tried it on a G4 MDD and a G4 eMac. There's no need to deal with Flash or external players.

Scroll down to A Promising Solution For the Future for an explanation and screen shots...

http://lowendmac.com/ed/patting/11sb/youtube-on-g4-macs.html

And download it here (direct link to XPI, otherwise click on the link on the above link and look for "download the .xpi" buried in the text on the TFF blog for the link):

http://tenfourfox.googlecode.com/files/tenfourfox-quicktime-enabler-alpha113.xpi

After you download it, installation is simple. Drag and drop the file into any open window in TFF and a pop up window asks if you want to install the xpi file. Click yes and you're done.

When you want to play a Youtube video, simply right click, scroll down to Open Youtube Video in Quicktime (I recommend SD resolution on PPC's), and it starts the video in QT after a 1-2 second pause. It's fantastic.

Keep in mind that you do not want to upgrade to TFF 9 if you're doing this, it will disable the plugin.

You can find TFF 8 and download it from here: http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/downloads/list, you want the 8.0 RC/Final build for your particular processor.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
If you are using Ten Four Fox 8 (not 9, 9 disables plug ins),
You can use plugins in Tenfourfox 9 by editing the about config settings. look for tenfourfox.plugins.enabled in about config set it to true (By Double clicking on it):) it is the same way to enable it in tenfourfox 8 as well:) Plugins came disabled by default in Tenfourfox 6+. But this hack enabled's it again:D

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
You can use plugins in Tenfourfox 9 by editing the about config settings. look for tenfourfox.plugins.enabled in about config set it to true (By Double clicking on it):) it is the same way to enable it in tenfourfox 8 as well:) Plugins came disabled by default in Tenfourfox 6+. But this hack enabled's it again:D
Excellent, thanks.

robbiebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Chester UK.
flashplayer

Hi Guys, thanks for all the help and info. Ok my Shockwave Flash is “11.1r102”

Quicktime Plug-in “7.7”

I know have BBC iplayer and the yahoo videos working as said utube has always worked, for whatever reason I still can`t get Channel 4od vids to play.

So 2 out of 3 ain`t that bad for an older system.
Cheers guys.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hi Guys, thanks for all the help and info. Ok my Shockwave Flash is “11.1r102”

Quicktime Plug-in “7.7”

I know have BBC iplayer and the yahoo videos working as said utube has always worked, for whatever reason I still can`t get Channel 4od vids to play.

So 2 out of 3 ain`t that bad for an older system.
Cheers guys.

enable developer tools in safari then choose safari 5.01 should be the first one..that'll tell websites your using an intel mac..Amazon streaming won't stream to a PPC but will to intel, that how I watch flash based movies from them on my G5

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
For some reason they have recently changed everything on the Channel 4 website to require the latest version of flash (I had this problem with 4OD). There's another thread on here with a fix. If you download this:
http://www.steelbin.com/FPforFBPPC.zip and follow the instructions. It's a replacement for the Safari flash plugin to trick websites into thinking that you have flash 11. Works a treat with no major performance hits.

robbiebox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Chester UK.
enable developer tools in safari then choose safari 5.01 should be the first one..that'll tell websites your using an intel mac..Amazon streaming won't stream to a PPC but will to intel, that how I watch flash based movies from them on my G5
Cheers thanks for that will do that now

Anasebi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
If you are using Ten Four Fox 8 (not 9, 9 disables plug ins), you can use a cool xpi that the TFF guys created called Quick Time Enabler, which forces Youtube videos to play right in the browser using QT. It works GREAT. I've tried it on a G4 MDD and a G4 eMac. There's no need to deal with Flash or external players.

Scroll down to A Promising Solution For the Future for an explanation and screen shots...

http://lowendmac.com/ed/patting/11sb/youtube-on-g4-macs.html

And download it here (direct link to XPI, otherwise click on the link on the above link and look for "download the .xpi" buried in the text on the TFF blog for the link):

http://tenfourfox.googlecode.com/files/tenfourfox-quicktime-enabler-alpha113.xpi

After you download it, installation is simple. Drag and drop the file into any open window in TFF and a pop up window asks if you want to install the xpi file. Click yes and you're done.

When you want to play a Youtube video, simply right click, scroll down to Open Youtube Video in Quicktime (I recommend SD resolution on PPC's), and it starts the video in QT after a 1-2 second pause. It's fantastic.

Keep in mind that you do not want to upgrade to TFF 9 if you're doing this, it will disable the plugin.

You can find TFF 8 and download it from here: http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/downloads/list, you want the 8.0 RC/Final build for your particular processor.
Awesome stuff, but despite not being in the program it keeps autoloading HTML5. blocking the menu. Another major problem is it only works for Youtube, not Bliptv or Vimeo.... the latter two sites need a plugin like this to play ANYTHING where as any moderately powerful G4 can handle low res Youtube. I know they are using HTML5 now, but they are on to something as I have seen video downloader programs like this that work on any type of web player. Only a matter of time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.