Flash Safari Plug In..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radiocity25, Apr 23, 2010.

1. radiocity25 macrumors member

I go on Justin.tv all the time to watch the Office and when I do I don't notice any lag but recently I have occasionally. I checked activity monitor and it says the Flash Plug in is at around ~45% CPU. Why does it hog so much CPU? How can I change this? Is this normal for flash?? I thought my MBP would be able to handle this..

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

OffT: lol....you're new here but I caution you to take a look at the front page once in a while. The saga will explain itself.

Now OnT: Flash sucks on OS X for various politically charged reasons. I'd explain them here, but that would derail this thread really, REALLY fast.

The usage you are experiencing is normal. Like I said, it's OS X, not your hardware. If you don't believe me, you can try to run the same thing on your MBP in Windows (bootcamp) and it'll run alot smoother.

Expect things to get better as time passes along. It's a weird time for OS X and Flash right now.

3. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Run Safari in 32 bit mode. And check your CPU while playing video through VLC, is it really that much less?

But mostly run Safari in 32 bit mode...

4. radiocity25 thread starter macrumors member

how would i set it up thru 32 bit? i mean it just uses a lot of CPU but I don't notice any delay in my work. So I guess I'll deal with it since it can't be fixed. I thought it was due to my processor, ram, or memory..

5. Cali3350 macrumors regular

When you run Safari in 64 bit mode (default for snow leopard) the flash plugin is actually being virtualized through a wrapper as there is no 64 bit plugin available. When you combine this with the fact that flash is a CPU hog on OSX anyway (partly Apples fault and partly Adobes fault) you get a bad situation. You also get better battery life in 32 bit mode - its win win.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2870/done-for-2009-the-holiday-macbook-pro-roundup/7