Flash Screen With AppleScript?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Darkroom, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

have no idea, can't seem to find the answer anywhere... anyone?

Code:
    tell application "system events"
         flash screen [COLOR="Green"]//??[/COLOR]
    end tell

[EDIT] by "flash screen" i mean: sys prefs > universal access > hearing > flash screen

2. Darkroom thread starter Guest

Darkroom

is there really no way to flash the screen with applescript? :confused:

3. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I tried looking in to this, and the best I could find was to make a sound file that was actually just a broken softlink (I think that was the situation), and when you told the system to play it, it would blink the screen instead.

-Lee

4. Darkroom thread starter Guest

Darkroom

i just read about this thanks to your post... i didn't even know about this "feature" (or whatever) for mac os x... it's interesting... my custom Mail.app sound never goes off for some reason when i receive new mail, i could use this instead... and also i hope this works for my method... i guess i'll have to get the fileManager to write a "sounds" folder in the library if one doesn't exist and write some file (apparently we can set a text file as a sound in the sounds folder to make the screen flash)...

[EDIT] oh, apparently it doesn't work with mail.app... oh well, no big deal... hopefully Snow Leopard will sort out the mail.app bugs with custom sound notifications.

[EDIT] aaaaand none of this seems to work at all in 10.5... back to square one...