Flash: Show Graphic Symbol Frame by Label?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Ansari, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Ansari macrumors newbie

I have a Graphic symbol with a few dozen animations taking place one after another. In my main timeline, I only want to show one animation at a time. Easy enough to do by setting the Looping of the symbol to Play Once and specifying which frame to start at.

Within the graphic symbol, I have a layer with only labels on it and each animation has it's own label. In my main timeline, how can I specify where to play the graphic symbol from by label rather than by frame number?

I'm working in CS4 using AS3.

Thanks

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

you should be able to drop your frame labels into your gotoAndPlay actions wrapped in quotes.

instancename.gotoAndPlay("framelabel");

Can you give instance names to graphic symbols? I no longer use the Flash IDE. Back in the day I would use a Movie symbol instead of a graphic symbol to do the above, but it may not matter anymore.

3. Ansari thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't allow me to give an instance name to a graphic symbol.

4. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Then you cannot address that content via actionscript. Copy and paste your animations out of the graphic and into a movie symbol.

5. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Just turn the graphic instance into a movieclip instance (via the properties panel) and give it a name. You can then call name.gotoAndPlay(framelabel);