Flash site not working on MAC - uses component, XML...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by caphoto, Jun 5, 2009.

1. caphoto macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post this - I could really use your help!

MAC users are having trouble viewing the image galleries on my website. Here's the address:

www.chrissyalbright.com

When you 'enter' the site, a new full-screen window is supposed to popup, and then when you click on a category you should see a flash-animated gallery of images.

Apparently MAC users see the thumbnail placeholders (background color of thumbnails), but no images (large or small).

The specs - the galleries are made using a component from FlashRelief, called "thumbgallery", which uses XML to populate/define each gallery.

On PC the whole site works fine, so please let me know if you have any idea of why this isn't working on MACs!!

Thanks,
    caphoto

2. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

There are indeed problems on a Mac with the images. I opened the Activity window and it seems that the images are being referenced with the wrong address.

The images are being linked...

HTML:
    http://www.chrissyalbright.com/imagesa5\pic5THUMB.jpg?cachebuster=0.887208070605993&timestamp=1244230248617
    ...notice the presence of a / when a \ should be there. I would think that this is your problem.

3. caphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

I thought that "\" looked weird! I've changed them all - would you mind double checking to see if it's working now?

I can't thank you enough!

And btw, how do you view the 'activities' window you were referring to? Sounds like something I should be using! :p

4. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Hey while I don't know the technical reasons for the problems I would like to offer a small suggestion for making the pop up page look better. You currently have it set to open a window size that could use a minor adjustment to it. If you look at the bottom of that pop up page you can see the top half of your line of legal text. When people see that they think it is an error and IMO it is not very professional looking. I don't want to sound like I am simply bashing you code though, you did a great job but I think that one small fix could make your page look nice. My suggestion is to make the page slightly larger because if you make it smaller so you don't by default see the legal text people won't think its there and people won't resize the page unless they see some reason.

Colin

5. torndownunit macrumors regular

Why not just eliminate the popup page, and have the page open in the same window? I find that page popping up like that really annoying, and I don't see why it needs to be setup like that.

I'd also suggest not having that music autoplay like that.

Not trying to be mean, they are both just really annoying issues when browsing the site.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The site seems to be displaying images correctly now for Firefox 3.0.10 and Safari 4b, at least if I'm looking for the right things.

When using Safari, under the Window menu there's an Activity option.

7. caphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all your comments.

As far as the line of legal text - thanks for pointing that out, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to knowing how to size the window to fit every monitor best... It looks fine on my monitor and on most of the other computers where I've tested it, but I understand if it won't look like that on every monitor... It's just something I"m not sure how to fix - though I may look into it soon.

Thanks all for your help! I appreciate it.
    ~caphoto

8. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

No worries mate, glad it's all working now!