Flash stick weirdness between OSX and Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ying yang, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ying yang macrumors regular

I have an 8GB flash stick that I've formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) in OSX. It seems normal in OSX and my PS3 recognises it normally too but when I boot to Windows and double click it in Explorer it tells me it needs to format it. When I go into the formatting options the capacity listed is 200MBs. I click format and it completes almost instantly. I can then use it normally but only as a 200MB drive. When I boot back to OSX and re-insert the drive I see two partitions, UNTITLED and NO NAME. NO NAME is the 200MB one and the other is the exact same as it was before, completely untouched, with the same files on it that I was trying to move to the Windows side earlier.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Weird... try formatting it on Windows. The Mac will still be able to read it and the PS3 shouldn't have a problem. Just remember to backup your data, as formatting will erase the entire disk. (Sorry for stating the obvious, just making sure!)