Flash Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ame8199, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ame8199 macrumors 6502

Can someone explain the flash storage system to me on the Airs? Thinking about selling my Pro and getting an Air due to needing to take it to work with me.

I dont understand how the flash storage work. I just upgraded my hard drive in my pro to a 500 SSD, but only using about 170gigs.

How do I determine the storage capability on the flash storage?

Just want to understand the storage system on the airs a little bit better....Thanks

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

SSD is flash storage. It all uses the same flash memory, rather than the mechanical parts of traditional hard disk drives.

As far as the capacity goes, Apple offers the Air in various configurations, with various storage capacities. Just choose the one with the storage you need.

3. ame8199 thread starter macrumors 6502

opps posted this in the wrong area...but thanks for the info! so a 256 flash storage...would be just 256 gigs of storage?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. It's the same concept as a traditional hard drive, but with no moving parts and faster performance.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Once you go SSD you don't go back :)

It still acts the same way, you use everything the same. The bonus is way faster, no spinning noise, and no risk of sudden movement destroying it.