FLASH SUPPORT on OS 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rwdebes, Jun 8, 2009.

1. rwdebes macrumors 6502

why no flash support !??!?!?!?
    i cant understand why a phone like iphone dont have flash support yet !
    most of the websites nowdays uses flash , im just trying to understand.. anyone have an answer !??! third model , third OS and still no flash..

2. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Add a question mark to the end of your thread title!

GRRRRRR

3. specify macrumors regular

haha yeah almost misleading

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

most of the websites use flash?

5. rwdebes thread starter macrumors 6502

a lof of them uses flash.. at least websites i use related to tech / games / portfolios / art direction etc... most of them uses flash.. and even if is not most of them, FLASH is part of the web , they need to support , what the excuse for no flash support ??

6. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

flash still too SUCKS and has trouble running efficiently on anything.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Search the web from 2007.

Lots and lots of people wrote lots and lots of essays on why we wouldn't see Flash on the iPhone. Nothing's changed in the last 2 years. Their points still stand.

8. rwdebes thread starter macrumors 6502

could u be nice and tell me why ?? what the big point that we wouldn't see flash on iphone ??
    because for a phone that focus on web navigation more than any other , this is unaceptable in my opinion..

9. rwdebes thread starter macrumors 6502

ok , but thats a problem of each user. they need to have the support there, if you dont want to use because of running problems, connection, speed etc.. dont use , you can easily have an option: FLASH ON/OFF.

what cant happen is when someone give u a link , and u try to load the ****ing website and only thing u see is a brick.

10. pintnight macrumors 6502

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Basically, flash would allow people to set up iPhone-sized web sites running flash games or other programs that would compete with the app store.

Right now Apple has control over what goes on the phone. No xxx apps. No baby shaking apps. Etc. Allowing flash would whisk that control away from them overnight.

Yes, I know you can get any kind of content on web sites...but they're not interactive programs like flash could deliver. They're not games (which is the biggest part of the app store).

So adding flash adds a bunch of problems for Apple.

And what's the downside? Well, not much. I've seen a TON of sites change over the last 2 years from being flash to using things like AJAX and Java. Or at the very least, they've added an iPhone version. (And anyone with a great flash game went and started making iPhone apps...which Apple controls.)

In other words, the iPhone won...the web is changing to fit the iPhone!

So at this point, what incentive does Apple have to change? They would risk losing control and have very little to gain in exchange.

Doesn't matter. Even if Adobe came up with an efficient, non battery-hogging flash, all the above reasons still stand. Apple just isn't interested. They say "bad battery life" now because it's an easy excuse. But watch...even if that changes, Apple won't change their mind.

12. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

Great... well explained answer... thanks

13. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Im not sure if this is out of left field but I kind of love the fact that the iphone doesnt support flash because I love going to websites and not having annoying flash popup ads and such

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thanks.

When I make this argument sometimes people try to argue that Apple should support flash because of all the flash sites they want to visit.

Yeah...and they should have Blu-Ray in their iMacs, but that would compete with iTunes HD movie sales.

So...you know, it's not always about what the user wants.

For the record, I don't miss flash on my iPhone, so I don't care. But even if I did care, that still wouldn't change anything.

15. slapppy macrumors 65816

No Flash because Silverlight will own the web. :p

16. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Have you tried using Flash on Mac OS X? It's horrific. It taxes your CPU significantly. I can't imagine what it'll do on iPhone OS X.

17. pooryou macrumors 65816

Someone (Adobe?) could release a custom Web browser App with built-in Flash support if they really wanted to. Not a small task however..

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

oh well.... not the first disappointment

Flash is slow anyway

19. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Perhaps Apple is fighting the good fight here and trying to support more open web-standards like AJAX? Does that makes sense? I'm just re-stating second hand information without actually knowing anything.

20. DarkJaye macrumors member

I hope they never add flash support frankly.

Flash is hugely inefficient for video, something you really don't want on a device that is as resource constrained as a phone. Even if Apple added Flash to the iPhone, and if by some miracle it manages to play flash video smoothly, it would eat battery like no tomorrow. Codecs designed around efficiency like the H.264 standard are what we should be hoping proliferates, not flash.

21. seanofthedead macrumors member

I agree with the TC that it's complete ******** that 3.0 doesn't have Flash. Sure, I can live without it, but it would be greatly appreciated. Not even so much for the games. Any major site uses Flash, so why the hell not add it? Especially since a lot of people are asking for it.

22. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Funny

Most websites have flash, well er lots have flash, uhm well some have flash.

I think I hear your mom calling.

Flash sucks, try the search function.

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I normally like to give a detailed, well explained argument, but it's late:

Flash sucks. End of.

Most websites that have streaming video content worth watching have either made their sites iPhone compatible (iPlayer) or have released an app (Youtube). Other than that, not including Flash saved a developer the bother of creating an app so I can turn it off.

24. seanofthedead macrumors member

25. MTI macrumors 65816

Who knew that Flash sour grapes could make such a fine whine . . :D