flash timeline works - test movie doesnt?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by phadam, Sep 1, 2009.

1. phadam macrumors regular

just a quick question. I was setting up my images and timeline to have one image follow another with a transition effect. Everything works on my timeline like it should if I manually drag the cursor over the timeline. Its just not working when I test movie. Only my first image works properly. The second image is not following.
    Any ideas what I may be missing or what I skipped??

2. phadam thread starter macrumors regular

also.. the 'test scene' works like it should.
    so.. manually dragging across the timeline works. test scene works. but test movie is not working.

:confused:

3. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Is there an error message when you hit test movie?

Also, are you using code to move from image to image, or are you just letting the movie play through on its own.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Since the OP said the test movie doesn't work but the test scene does - to me that means the export to .swf or .fla with player isn't working, and not a coding (AS3) issue otherwise test scene (preview in Flash) would fail. So it could be when they uploaded it to the server or tested locally a dependency was missed, path set wrong in HTML markup, etc.

I asked for a link because most time when the trouble is isolated to the web server, I can view the source to determine if the object is embedded incorrectly in terms of HTML markup. One of the most common causes for situations like this in my experience.

Good question, of course, so not saying you shouldn't have asked. :)

5. phadam thread starter macrumors regular

i actually found a stop function that was hiding from me. not really sure why or when i put that in but that was the problem. maybe i need some glasses to see properly.

thanks for the help guys

6. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Good point Jim! For some reason, it never occurred to me that that could be a possible problem.

And I'm glad you figured out your issue OP.

7. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Actually, the fact that "test Movie" was not working indicates an actionscript problem.

This illustrates why it is so important to keep all actionscript instructions neatly organized/centralized on frame1 of the main timeline or within a Document class.
    Nested scripts just make the project more difficult to manage.

GL

8. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Code belongs in classes, not on the timeline... ever!

Normally, when something works in "test movie" but fails (often silently) on the web server is it a flash security error...