Flash = too much load, 3D OpenGL no prob??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redbergy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. redbergy macrumors newbie

Am I the only guy who is a little miffed about the whole Flash is too much for the iPhone to handle after watching the SDK announcements? I mean EA and Sega are coming out with accelerameter controlled 3D games but people are still going to argue that Flash will kill the battery life. People are even claiming that the iPhone is the next PSP and that it will have better games than the full blown version of OS X. I just don't get it.

And don't say it's a user interface / usability issue... Flash isnt just about cute little rollover buttons. 90% of flash content would be usable without mouse roll overs and seeing a semi usable flash page / app is better than seeing the annoying blue plugin required icon. The full flash player has been ported to windows mobile which is also a touch based device, it worked fine for me 4 years ago on my ipaq.

Obviously you should have the option to turn it off, touch to activate, whatever. There are thousands of users who want this on the iPhone and you people celebrating the news yesterday of no flash because of banner ads seem pretty damn selfish to me. Considering there already is an option to turn off plugin in mobile safari, turn yours off and let those of us who like flash enough to put up with banners have it.

Apple, EA, and Sega made it pretty clear today what this hardware can be capable of, i hope this puts an end to that part of the flash on the iPhone argument and we find out the real reasons why Apple doesn't want to see it happen.

As a side note I did hear that Adobe employees were at the event... Maybe there is still hope.

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Flash is very inefficient.

I have an iMac G5 and do things like digital video editing all the time, but watching a small flash animation uses 100% CPU and makes my fans run at the max.

It is pretty pathetic when a low-res youtube video uses more CPU then playing back high-definition videos encoded in other formats.

3. avalys macrumors 6502

OpenGL is no problem because the iPhone has a hardware 3D accelerator. When someone comes out with a hardware Flash chip (and Apple builds it into the iPhone), let us know.

Running OpenGL in software (like Flash would have to) would be slow and kill the battery - but that's not what the situation is.