Flash video (no, not a complaint about not having the functionality...)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spencecb, Jan 3, 2008.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

So, I love using the internet on my iPhone. It is probably the main reason I bought it. I sold my MacBook Pro, because I never took it with my anywhere again once I got my iPhone.

I love the media features. I love everything about it.

My question: When will websites that are talking about the iPhone (in video format) STOP USING FLASH??????

Or at least, when will they include the option to "download for iPod" which we all know plays immediately on the iPhone because it activates Quicktime?

I just think it is incredibly irritating that all these websites (including MacRumors) will constantly put these types of Flash videos online. I mean, come on! Who do you think the primary target of these videos are? iPhone users! And, at least for me, I'm using my iPhone when I am reading these articles.

What do you all think?

2. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

your point is a good one!

I personaly would like to see a flash plugin. But I aint gunna get hung up on of not having it

3. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

I'm with you here......I mean one of the biggest car companies in the world (VW) who once spoke of intergrating :apple: within their cars......you just try and look for a car in detail from their site, impossible. - oh and the BBC........

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think it's incredibly ironic that Jobs touted seeing "the real internet". Of course, that meant scrolling and tapping all over the place, which is fun if you have the time and patience for it.

So now there are all sorts of pages optimized for the iPhone's small screen.

HELLO :)

Welcome to the mobile internet. There's a reason for its existence.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

A lot of the time companies providing legal media only have the rights from third parties to include footage in streaming services and not for permament download (unless it's DRMed to time expire like the BBC iPlayer or Hulu's download service), so I woudn't bet on this happening any time soon.

Adobe is doing a lot of work on streams to make it much harder for people to save stuff streamed over Flash, so I expect to see a lot more content providers using it exclusively, despite it's horrendous video codec.

It really is up to Apple and Adobe to fix it, not for the whole internet to change for one device...

Phazer

6. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Flash video sucks terribly (and I'm a Flash game developer...).

Quicktime streaming video is just so damn amazing compared to all the crap out there...

7. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

But when a device is very influential, the internet does often change to accomodate it. It happens all the time in the Windows world. Why shouldn't Apple users enjoy the same treatment when one of our devices begins changing how things are done?

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Whats the odds of a flash plugin?

9. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

i would say they are good aslong as the SDK is open and not closed!